List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BENEDICT

List entry Number: 1252195

Location

CHURCH OF ST BENEDICT, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityScrivelsby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 435077

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 26 NE SCRIVELSBY CHURCH LANE (west side)

4/130 Church of St. Benedict 14.9.66 G.V. II*

Parish church. Early C13, C15, heavily restored 1860 and 1876. Coursed greenstone rubble blocks, limestone ashlar. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. North-west tower with spire, nave with north aisle, chancel. Limestone tower of 1860 with plinth, 2 stage angle buttresses and north doorway with pointed head, continuous moulded surround, rectangular hood mould with head label stops and plank door. Pointed west window of 2 cusped ogee headed lights with quatrefoil, hood mould and head label stops. Bell openings on 4 sides, each with a pointed head, 2 pointed cusped lights, hood mould and head label stops. Moulded eaves with corner gargoyles. Recessed spire with 4 lucarnes and finial with wrought iron cross. Rubble plinth runs round entire church. 2 C19 windows alternate with 2 stage buttresses on north aisle, both rectangular with 2 cusped ogee headed lights and hood mould. North side of chancel with early C15 pointed, blocked doorway with continuous moulded surround, hood mould and head label stops. Moulded string course to east runs beneath tall, narrow, pointed C15 window with 2 cusped ogee headed lights and panel tracery, mostly renewed in C19. East end with 2 stage diagonal buttresses and moulded string course running beneath C19 east window with shallow triangular head, 3 cusped lights, hood mould and head label stops. South side of chancel with moulded string course running beneath a single, tall, narrow, pointed C15 window with panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. 2 similar windows in nave, to west, with a 2 stage buttress and 2 pointed C19 windows beyond, the latter with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, 2 mouchettes, hood mould and head label stops. West end of north aisle with a similar C19 window with a large C15 gargoyle head re-set above. C19 interior tower arch with double chamfered, pointed head supported on ornate, foliate corbels. 5 bay early C13 north arcade with semi- circular reponds, octagonal piers each with 4 slender attached shafts, moulded capitals and pointed double chamfered heads. Gargoyle set in western-most spandrel. Early C15 aumbry in north wall of nave with ogee shaped head. C19 chancel arch with pointed, double chamfered head supported on triple roll responds with moulded capitals. C15 screen restored in C19, with 5 traceried cusped ogee headed openings and delicate panel tracery. Early C15 tall, narrow piscina in south wall of chancel with ogee shaped head, finial and head label stops. Plain chamfered aumbry in north wall. C19 altar rail, pulpit, lectern, pews and roofs. Early C15 octagonal font with traceried panels. Monuments include: one to John Tyrwhitt, died 1845, a white marble scroll on a black marble field; one to Lewis Dymoke, died 1820, of white marble on a grey field; one to John Dymoke, died 1784, white marble with urn, palms and coat of arms; 3 brass plaques recording burial nearby of Charles Dymoke, his wife and son, undated; Lewis Dymoke, died 1760 and removal of tomb of Robert Dymoke, Champion to Henry VIII. A large white marble monument with yellow-grey streaked marble inlay, to Lewis Dymoke, died 1760, by W. Atkinson with open pediment, good bust, extinguished 1760, by W. Atkinson with open pediment, good bust, extinguished torches, drapery threaded through rings and a snake biting its tail. A white marble monument to Lewis Jones, died 1786. 2 recumbent effigies of c.1300, of a knight and his lady, probably Sir Philip and Lady Marmion; the lady with her hands in prayer, a wimple and a dog at her feet; the knight in chain mail, a tunic, but missing his legs and the blade of his sword. A white and grey marble monument to John Dymoke, died 1828. An ashlar and white marble monument to Sir Henry Dymoke, died 1865. Tomb chest of Sir Robert Dymoke, died 1545 with brass effigy of bearded man. Source: Banks. Volume 3, p.283.

Listing NGR: TF2655265774

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 26552 65774

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 07:57:28.