List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1252132

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityLangton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 435068

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 26 NW LANGTON MAIN STREET (north side)

3/121 Church of St. Margaret 14.9.66 II

Parish church. Mid C13, C15, 1750, heavily restored and partly rebuilt by W. Scorer in 1890-1. Green sandstone rubble blocks, limestone ashlar dressings, some red brick. Plain tile roofs with overhanging eaves and bell supported by timber frame in west gable. Nave and chancel in one. West front with pointed, ashlar dressed doorway with moulded jambs, hood mould and plank door. North side of nave with outline of 2 blocked, pointed bays of C13 north arcade. Tiny lancet in east gable of nave. North side of chancel, plain. East end with pointed C19 window with 3 cusped, ogee headed lights and tracery. South side with 2 pointed C19 windows, each with 2 cusped, ogee headed lights and mouchette. Interior 2 bay north arcade of c,1250 partially exposed, with double chamfered, pointed heads. Polygonal pier with polygonal moulded capital and similar respond capitals, the lower sections of which are covered by painted panelled dado that runs round entire nave. C13 chancel arch with pointed, double chamfered head that dies into rectangular jambs. South wall of chancel with pointed, chamfered piscina. C16 chair with barley sugar columns flanking tall back and panel carved with figure of St. Margaret. Richly carved pulpit, chest and lectern by J. Conway Walter, Rector, in 1891, in late C16 style. Font consisting of several medieval fragments; the base, a keystone of a late C12 rib vault from Kirkstead Abbey; the bowl, of Barnack stone with bulbous corners, discovered in St. Lawrence Street, Horncastle. Terracotta chrismatory set in pointed chamfered opening for stoup in west wall, of medieval Moorish origins, and discovered in Moat of Poolham Hall. C19 Baptismal shell with roundels containing scenes from the Life of Christ, brought back from Bethlehem in 1860. Fragmentary, free standing stoup on south window ledge of nave with roll mouldings on 3 corners. 2 large, weathered tomb stones re-set on either side of west doorway.

Listing NGR: TF2372468990

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 23724 68990

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 03:06:35.