List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GANTS MILL

List entry Number: 1251831

Location

GANTS MILL, SUNNY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityPitcombe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Aug-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 434673

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PITCOMBE CP ST63SE SUNNY LANE 5/262 Gants Mill GV II*

Water mill. Mostly C18 and C19, with late C13 origins. Local stone rubble with ashlar and brick dressings; plain clay tile roof between coped gables. "T"-plan; 3 storeys with attics; 8 bays, projection, then 4 bays to South elevation. All windows are 2-light casements, with segmental arched gauged brick heads; lights mostly replaced in the 4 right-hand bays, of C18; but some wood frames with leaded lights survive in the first 7 bays, the 1810 addition; other windows in this section blocked; old stable opening under timber beam bays 1 to 3, and to bay 6 a doorway with keystones to brick arch and approach stair ladder: 2 attic dormers remain in right hand section projecting wing probably of 1883, to accommodate steam engine and later turbine, with stone arched windows and small pane casement windows, main block of full height but with further single storey section: on North gable a timber, brick and tile extension formerly over part of mill pond. Interior construction timber based, but with early cast iron columns propping main crossbeams, and in some places old machinery spindles, etc, have been incorporated as props; roof trusses of West section probably of 1810, these in East section earlier. Mill still used (1983) for grinding animal feed and occasionally whole wheat flour, using mostly machinery of 1888; grindstones, conveyers, sackhoist and grain bins, and power from a turbine of that date, a 20" British Empire turbine by Armfields of Ringwood. First mill on this site was a fulling mill, soon two, erected about 1290; one mill probably demolished in C17 or C18 and the other adapted to cornmill; between 1800 and 1810 extended and fitted out as a silk mill, but by c1830 reverted to mill for flour and animal feedstuffs. Steam power introduced 1883, replaced by semi-diesel in 1914 but this unit sold c1940: former brick chimney now demolished. (G Shingler, Gants Mill, Bruton, unpublished leaflet, undated).

Listing NGR: ST6744434262

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 67444 34262

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 08:44:47.