List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HADSPEN HOUSE

List entry Number: 1251809

Location

HADSPEN HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityPitcombe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 434632

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PITCOMBE CP ST63SE HADSPEN 5/244 Hadspen House 24.3.61 GV II*

Country House. Mostly C18. Cary stone ashlar; hipped Welsh slate roof behind parapets; stone chimney stacks. Originally solid "U"-plan with C19 and C20 extensions; 2 storeys with attics; 5 bay South front, the centre 3 bays slightly projecting. Plinth, rustic quoins to centre bays, cornice, low parapet with coping, with pediment over centre bays: 12-pane sash windows to ground floor, set in architraved surrounds with pedimented heads, triangular to bays 1 and 5, segmental bays 2 and 4; central part-glazed doors set in porch with Doric columns and pilasters, full entablature with metopes and pediment hood: first floor has 9-pane sashes in architraved surrounds; behind parapets 4 hipped roof dormers with 2-light casement windows. West elevation of matching 4 bays, with projecting single storey porch having rusticated ashlar, plinth, cornice, coped parapet and Doric columns supporting full entablature and pedimented hood protecting 6-panel door: Westwards extension from North West corner in plainer style, dated 1886. East elevation of 5 bays; bay 1 matches, then 4 plain bays leading to plainer Eastwards extension with segmental curved end, date on weathervane 1909. Rear extension Northwards of 1828. Inside, rooms of several periods: South West room, the library, has good cornice, fireplace surround and Chippendale style built-in bookcases; South East sitting room has cornice, fireplace, dado and plaster panelled walls; East dining room has cornice, marble fireplace flanked by statue niches, plain dado and Adamesque plasterwork decoration to walls; North West room has early C18 dado panelling, possibly adapted; main stair at rear early C19, but stairs from first floor to attic of C18 - at foot a 2-panel door with detached pediment doorcase. Original farmhouse built by William Player, 1687 to 1699; sold to Vickris Dickinson in 1747, again in 1767 and finally to Hobhouse family, present owners, in 1785. House improved between 1767 and 1791, when Collinson was able to describe it as "recently much improved" - ceilings of front rooms raised 1786-87, wth some other works; major alterations and additons to rear in 1828, 1886 and 1909 - good quality work of each period. (Andrew Raven, Hadspen House, Unpublished architectural thesis for RWA Bristol, undated).

Listing NGR: ST6603631044

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 66036 31044

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 03:42:06.