List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BOSWORTH PARK INFIRMARY

List entry Number: 1251547

Location

BOSWORTH PARK INFIRMARY, THE PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHinckley and BosworthDistrict AuthorityMarket Bosworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-May-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188123

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARKET BOSWORTH THE PARK SK4003 9/64 Bosworth Park Infirmary

GV II*

Country house, now hospital. Largely of c1680-90 but with alterations of C1837-50 and additions principally in stable courtyards of 1885. Brick with ashlar dressings throughoutjlow pitched slate hipped roofs, probably C1837-50. Two storeyed. Entrance front raised on a terrace with stone balustrades and central flight of steps, is of nine bays (3-3-3). The central three bays project beneath a pediment with modillions, and tall fluted pilasters, and a shield of arms in the gable. Stone fluted pilasters mark the principal angles. Doorways and projecting central porch with broken segmental pediment and wrought iron fanlight above double doors. Windows are 15 pane sashes with flat arched gauged brick heads. South elevation raised on terrace with brick retaining wall with stone copings is of 11 bays (4-3-4) again with pedimented centre piece, the central bay of which is given further expression by stone pilasters and an open pediment to each window case. Shield of arms in gable. Internal detail spans a range of styles from the original house through to the major alterations of 1885. As an original survival, the staircase is notable, with moulded rail capped by ramified urns above the newels and slim turned balasters. It has however been re-arranged to form a straight flight. Raised and fielded panelling throughout may also be original work, but plaster ceilings which are largely heavy floral swags forming panels, though with some lighter motifs including strap work and pendants in one principal upper room is largely of 1885. Other detailing seems also to belong to this period, but some fireplaces are of the 18th century, and grisaille panels over some upper doorways are of the later C18. The entrance hall is completely of 1885 in a Tudor style with panelled ceilings and stone fireplace with carved wood over mantle. In the cellar are two doors removed from Newgate Prison cells in 1903. Stable courtyard to north of house is almost entirely of 1885 in a Dutch style with principal range to the north articulated by pilasters with a central shaped Dutch gable.

Listing NGR: SK4083803332

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 40838 03332

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 01:09:58.