List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

List entry Number: 1251379

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, UPTON COURT ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SloughUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 434059

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 97 NE SLOUGH UPTON COURT ROAD (south side)

4/10 Church Of St. Laurence 29.9.50 G.V. I

Church. Early C12 tower, rest of late C12, restoration and additions of south aisle and vestry in 1850-1 by Benjamin Ferrey, tower altered in 1906; and vestry added in 1910. Uncoursed rubblestone and puddingstone with ashlar dressings. Old tile roofs, separately over nave and aisle, and timber bellcote at east end of aisle with hipped roof and cross. Nave, south aisle, central tower, chancel and south vestry. Tower: 2 stages with cornice and coped parapet to low pyramidal cap with weathervane. Small rectangular louvred bellstage openings to north and south, small rectangular first stage windows to north. Nave: north side: 4 round arched windows and 2-light C15 window to left; blocked round arched window between second and third windows from left and evidence of blocked or reset doorway beneath. Round arched doorway between third and fourth windows from left with chevron decoration, one order of shafts, nook shafts, and boarded door. West front: two 3-light windows with returned hoodmoulds, and round arched window in gable end above. South aisle: south side: 3 round arched windows and 2-light window to right with returned hoodmould. Round arched doorway between first and second windows from left with boarded door, 3 orders of shafts with cushion capitals, and heavy gabled stone surround with circular window in apex. East end: 2-light window with quadrefoil in plate tracery above. West end: 2 lancets with circular window in gable end above. Chancel: 2 bays with strip buttresses. 2 round arched windows to north and south; 2 round arched east windows with blocked circular window above and round arched window in apex. Vestry : 4 round arched windows to east and boarded door to south. Interior: 5 bay C15 chamfered crown post nave roof; 4 bay C19 south aisle arcade with circular piers and pointed arches; round tower arches with scalloped imposts; 2 bay stone vaulted chancel with scalloped capitals and painted ribs. Fittings include: C12 circular stone font with blind arcading; C19 octagonal stone font; coat of arms on south wall; reset C15 wooden archway at east end of south aisle with shafts, cusping and dogtooth ornament; C15 alabaster Trinity in south wall of tower. Monuments include: early C16 brass of Knight with 2 wives, brass to E. Bulstrade and wife of 1599, and Grecian tablet of 1822 by J. Theakston to Sir William Hershel, the astronomer. George Fordham, the champion jockey who died in 1887 at the age of 50 having ridden 2,500 winners, is buried in the churchyard. This is reputed to be the church where Grey wrote his Elegy. V.C.H. (Bucks), Vol.3, pp.316-8 (including plan); B.O.E. (Bucks), p.237; The History of Slough, Maxwell Fraser, Slough Corporation, 1973, pp.140-2.

Listing NGR: SU9807179093

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Maxwell, F, The History of Slough, (1973), 140-142
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Buckingham, (1908), 316-318
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire, (1960), 237

National Grid Reference: SU 98074 79094

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Dec-2014 at 05:10:30.