List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STONEACRE AND PATH BETWEEN FRONT DOOR AND ROAD

List entry Number: 1250995

Location

STONEACRE AND PATH BETWEEN FRONT DOOR AND ROAD, STONEACRE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentMaidstoneDistrict AuthorityOtham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Jul-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433561

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STONEACRE LANE TQ 75 SE OTHAM (West Side) 3/237 Stoneacre, and path between front door and 25.7.52 road II* House, formerly farmhouse, now house. Late C15 or early C16, with mid C16 alterations. Restored circa 1922-1928, by Aymer Vallance, with a re-erected wing from North Bore Place, Chiddingstone, bearing dates 1547 and 1629. Main range timber-framed, with rendered infilling. North end addition roughly coursed stone to ground floor, first floor rendered, with exposed principal posts. North Bore Place wing with coursed stone to ground floor and exposed framing above. South addition with re-used bricks in English bond from North Bore Place to ground floor and 1920s close-studding with rendered infilling to first floor. Plain tile roofs. East-facing open hall of 2 roughly equal-length timber- framed bays, with integral cross-wing to south, and formerly with storeyed bay or bays to north. Cross-wing comprises 3 timber-framed bays, projecting forwards, with integral 2-storey lean-to on north side, in re-entrant angle between wing and hall. Wing subdivided internally into one 2-bay room on each floor towards front, with access from hall to ground-floor room through "lean-to". Single-bay rear (west) room formerly containing stairs, and with ground-floor access to front room, hall and rear. North end bay or bays replaced in later C16 by linear wing of 2 timber-framed bays. Wing of about 3 first-floor timber-framed bays, from North Bore Place, added in 1920s, running west from west elevation of north wing. Further 1920s addition to south comprising 2 rooms and lobby on first floor. Cross-wing 2 storeys, hall one storey, on stone plinth. Linear north wing, and west wing (North Bore Place) both 2 storeys, garret and cellar: Broadly-spaced close-studding to cross-wing, with tension braces, and with ogee foot braces to plain gable crown-post. Exposed principal posts to hall, and braced intermediate stud to north hall bay. Decorative framing to first floor of west wing, with 3 small square, quadrant-braced panels per storey. Cross-wing jettied to front (including "lean-to") and to rear, with higher eaves than hall, except where "lean-to" eaves continue from hall plate. North wing with higher eaves than hall, gabled to south, half-hipped to north. Hipped roof to south addition. Projecting stack of re-used red and grey bricks in English bond to south addition. Multiple brick stack in front slope of roof to south end of hall. Multiple brick ridge stack towards south end of north wing, and ridge stack towards west end of west wing. Irregular fenestration of 5 leaded windows; one re-used C16 twelve-light mullioned and transomed oriel window on moulded cill, rising to coved timber-framed eaves gable with pierced bargeboards to centre of south addition, removed, with gable, from upper part of east window of hall. One reconstructed 8-light mullioned and transomed oriel window on coved and moulded base, with moulded, brattished cornice and 4-centred arched frieze windows, to first floor of cross-wing. One small 2-light mullioned window to first floor of."lean-to". Reconstructed canted 12-light bay window filling south bay of hall, with stone base, ogee-headed upper lights and moulded cornice. One 6-light mullioned and transomed C19 or early C20 casement to south end of north wing, and blocked window under eaves towards north end. Canted 8-light mullioned and transomed bay window to ground-floor of cross-wing, on stone base, with moulded transom, mullions and cornice. Slender 2-light window to "lean-to" and chamfered rectangular stone cellar light to north wing. Ovolo- moulded mullioned and transomed windows to north gable end. Jettied gable to west wing, with moulded bressumer and pendants, and with solid- spandrel braces under bressumer, forming "apron" each side of moulded 10-light mullioned and transomed oriel window. Braces dated 1547 and 1629. Flush 12-light mullioned and transomed rear window to hall. Moulded 4-centred arched doorway to north end of hall, with trefoiled spandrels and boarded, largely medieval, door. Similar rear doorway to hall with hollow spandrels. Narrow doorway, also similar, to rear of cross-wing. Interior: exposed framing. Variety of moulded beams and cornices, including moulded end-of-hall beams. Rare central crown-post of 4 clustered shafts with moulded capitals and bases, set on moulded, cambered tie-beam with moulded solid-spandrel arch-braces springing from shafted principal posts with reconstructed moulded capitals and bases. Ogee foot-braces to rebated end-of-hall pilaster crown-posts. Ashlar- pieces and moulded cornice. Panelled screen, partly reconstructed, between hall and cross-passage. 4-centred arched doorway between hall and "lean-to" of cross-wing. Front ground-floor room of cross-wing with moulded axial beams and cornice and moulded cross-beam with solid- spandrel braces springing from moulded, shafted posts. First-floor room above with rebated central and pilaster crown-posts and central tie- beam with re-used moulded braces and reconstructed shafts. Original jambs to oriel window of same room grooved for vertically-sliding shutters. C16 moulded 4-centred arched stone fireplaces in situ, to ground and first floors of north wing, and first floor of cross-wing. C16 inserted hall ceiling with moulded cross and axial beams removed to specially-designed room in south addition. Fittings recovered from North Bore Place, and houses in Lynsted and Faversham, and re-used in Stoneacre, include panelling (including linenfold panelling), carved and moulded C16 and C17 stone fireplaces, some with overmantels and one partly painted, 4-centred arched wooden doorways and a wooden newel staircase. Path: stone rubble footpath approximately 30 metres long between front door and garden gate, included for group value. Property of the National Trust. (Country Life, 22nd and 29th March 1930).

Listing NGR: TQ7998053494

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 22 March - Date: 1930 - Journal Title: Country Life
  2. Article  Reference - Title: 29 March - Date: 1930 - Journal Title: Country Life

National Grid Reference: TQ 79980 53494

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2014 at 04:35:47.