List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE WORTHING TABERNACLE

List entry Number: 1250845

Location

THE WORTHING TABERNACLE, 64, CHAPEL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
West SussexWorthingDistrict AuthorityNon Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433337

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list: CHAPEL ROAD 1. 5406 TQ 1402 NE 3/272 No 64 The Worthing Tabernacle II

Nonconformist church and church hall. Thought to have been built in 1897 by Lund but rain water heads are dated 1908. Front of snecked rubble with Bath stone dressings. Other elevations are of stock brick with red brick dressings. Slate roof. West front has central gable with cross-shaped saddlestone flanked by octagonal pinnacles dying into 1st floor square buttresses with inset columns and buttresses to ground floor. Central rose window with 6 trefoliated headed lancets and quatrefoil band below. Stone band between floors. Ground floor has central triple round-headed window flanked by single round-headed windows, all connected by hood moulding. Wings have double mullioned window to 1st floor and gabled entrances with round headed arches with engaged granite columns. 8 light fanlight with Art Nouveau glazing and double plank doors with large decorative hinges. Side elevations are of stock brick in Flemish bond with red brick dessings. 2 gables with 3 lancets each to 1st floor connected by hood moulding and casements to ground floor with dogtooth moulded stone voussoirs above. Church hall at rear is in similar materials with 2 gables. Interior has 2 bays supported on tall iron plumed capitals. Round-headed chancel arch with granite column, pendants. Large curved wooden pulpit supported on 2 twisted columns with 2 curved staircases with elaborate iron railings. East rose window with stained glass floral panes. Side walls have triple lancet windows interrupted by the balcony with kingfisher roundels at the top. West window has floral decoration. Curved wooden balcony with diagonally placed boarding quatrefoil carving and brattishing. Original iron lamp brackets attached. Vertical dado-panelling. Walls of gallery have original iron lamp brackets. Original curved wooden pews. Unusual roof structure boarded with modified curved braces held together with iron tie rods. Rear vestibule has fireplace with Art Nouveau pomegranite motif and staircase to Minister's office has elaborate cast iron balusters and scrolled tread ends. Front vestibule has elaborate cast iron balusters to staircase and double doors with elaborate brass handles and art nouveau tracery.

Listing NGR: TQ1485602960

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ1485602960

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 04:43:22.