List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MEMORIAL TO SLAGG FAMILY TO WEST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY (12 METRES NORTH WEST OF MEMORIAL TO JOHN BROOKS, QV)

List entry Number: 1250837

Location

MEMORIAL TO SLAGG FAMILY TO WEST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY (12 METRES NORTH WEST OF MEMORIAL TO JOHN BROOKS, QV), CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuryMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-May-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433321

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following items shall be added:

SD 8103 CHURCH LANE (west side) 326-/1/10012 Memorial to Slagg family - to west of Church of St Mary (12m NW of memorial to John Brooks, qv)

GV II

Tomb chest, c1875-80, by Alfred Waterhouse. Commemorates John Slagg and others of his family. Dressed sandstone and pink polished granite. Venetian Gothic style. Broad rectangular base, chest in Gothic style, with 8 polished pink granite colonettes framing 3 yellow sandstone panels in each side and one at each end, a cavetto frieze with foliation (eroded), and a hipped canopy with 3 bands of weathering and a ridge formed by the shaft of cross which has an overlaid wreath on its head at the west end. All the panels are sunk cusped diamonds, some containing inscriptions: that at the east end commemorates John Slagg (d. February 25th 1875); that in the centre of the north side (worn and now only partly legible) Thomas, infant son of John Slagg; that at the west end Jane, wife of John Slagg (d.1886), and two on the south side William, his youngest son (d.1875, aged 34) and Edith, wife of William, (d.1918).

Listing NGR: SD8039810859

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 80398 10859

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 01:11:40.