List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1250534

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROW
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, STRANTON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HartlepoolUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 432929

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTLEPOOL STRANTON NZ 5031 & 5032 (NZ 53 SW) (west side)

4/116 & 10/116 Church of All Saints 24.3.50

- II*

Church, C12, with late C13 north aisle, arcade and tower : upper part rebuilt C14 when chancel also partly rebuilt; late C14 south aisle and arcade; C15 north chapel, chancel arch, clearstories and porch; mid/late C19 north vestries and south organ chamber. Whole church restored and altered in C18, 1852, 1889 by J.H. Morton (South Shields), and 1898 by Charlewood & Hicks (Newcastle). Earlier work of snecked and coursed limestone rubble; later work of snecked and dressed sandstone. Welsh slate roofs, and lead to flat roof of north aisle. Aisled nave, with clearstorey and porch to south; chancel, 2 vestries and chapel to north side, organ chamber to south. West tower, of 3 stages defined by chamfered step-backs; diagonal buttresses with offsets; embattled parapet and angle and intermediate pinnacles. 3 grouped lancets to west face of lower stage; slit lights to south and west faces of middle stage; upper stage has clock faces below round-headed openings holding paired trefoil-headed lights. Nave has pointed south doorway of 2 chamfered orders, under hoodmould and ogee-headed niche. 3 paired lancets to south clearstorey and 2 similar, blocked, to north clearstorey concealed by raised aisle roof. Pointed south and east windows to chancel have geometric traceries. North chapel has 2 Perpendicular-traceried segmental-headed windows. All other windows are of 1898. Tower arch of 2 chamfered orders without responds. 2-bay pointed nave arcades of 2 chamfered orders, with octagonal piers and responds, those to north having moulded capitals. Stone benches either side of porch. Pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders with moulded capital to octagonal south respond; north springing is from arcade respond. North chapel open to chancel by 2-bay arcade similar to nave, and to the aisle by a similar arch. North aisle windows have stained glass by Messrs. Wailes and Stang (Newcastle) c.1898. Piscina with moulded semicircular head, in chancel; another, simpler, in south aisle, below trefoil-headed niche with crocketed canopy supported by human figures of c.1400. Fragments of Anglo-Saxon and later carved masonry, built into east wall of south aisle. V.C.H. Durham, Vol. III, 1928, pp 373-375.

Listing NGR: NZ5088631993

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Durham - Date: 1928 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 373-375

National Grid Reference: NZ 50887 31992

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 04:32:39.