List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THROSTON ENGINE HOUSE AND WALL ADJOINING

List entry Number: 1250389

Location

THROSTON ENGINE HOUSE AND WALL ADJOINING, OLD CEMETERY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HartlepoolUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Apr-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 432706

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTLEPOOL OLD CEMETERY ROAD, NZ 53 SW Headland

4/84 Throston Engine House and wall 21.4.83 adjoining.

- II

Wrongly shown on O.S. map as Clifton Street. Housing for hauling engine, 1830's, limestone ashlar; gabled Welsh slate roof added later after removal of header tank. Single storey, with basement fully exposed on south-east and north-east sides, other two sides concealed by railway embankment. Each face has Tuscan pilasters and clasping pilasters, rising from floor string, and with entablature. Rebuilt gables to north-east and south-west sides, which together with south-east side are each of 3 bays. 2 windows and central doorway to south-west side; 3 windows to south-east side, all round-headed, with moulded architraves continued to floor string, and lacking doors and glazing. 4 blocked round-headed openings, that to left being later, on south-east face of basement. Lower part of north-west side obscured by remains of comtemporary adjoining building, above which, pilasters define single-bay returns on this side, at each end. Extending from north angle: a low wall, with string course below parapet, of 2 bays defined by single pilaster strip on north-east face, and having 2 round-headed openings without glazing. Contains remains of bed of hauling engine used to draw coal wagons up railway incline to top of former coal staithes. Dispute between railway companies over use of these coal-shipping facilities was major factor leading to founding of new town of West Hartlepool in 1840's.

Listing NGR: NZ5191534398

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 51914 34399

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 02:17:57.