List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LINTON PARK

List entry Number: 1250171

Location

LINTON PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentMaidstoneDistrict AuthorityLinton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Jul-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Feb-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 432437

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Linton Park (formerly TQ 74 NF LINTON 5/130 listed as Linton Place) 25.7.52 GV I Country house. 1730's, for Robert Mann, with additions and alterations circa 1825 by Thomas and William Cubitt for 5th Earl Cornwallis. Further altered circa 1938. Brick, stuccoed in c.1825. Slate roof. Double depth. 1730's central section of 2 storeys and 7 window bays, with central break. In c.1825, central section raised to 3 storeys and linear wings added to right and left. Central section 3 storeys, wings 2 storeys, all with basement. Ground floor becomes 'piano nobile' to rear, and basement becomes ground floor, with slope of land. North (entrance) front: wings slightly recessed. Centre of central section breaks forward. Moulded eaves cornice to wings, continued as string course across central section. Plain parapet to wings. Plain parapet to central section, with raised balustrading across break. Hipped roofs. Stuccoed stacks; one to centre of each wing and 6 to central section. Regular 15-window front of recessed 12-pane sashes in moulded rectangular architraves, 4 to each wing and 7 to central section, with 3 to central break. Cornices to ground floor windows. 7 nine-pane sashes to second floor of central section. Central panelled double doors with large decorative semi-circular fanlight, in moulded architrave with cornice. Single-storey tetrastyle Ionic portico spanning break, with plain frieze, dentilled cornice and plain parapet, breaking forwards in front of door. Stuccoed balustrade to narrow basement 'area', running east and west across house from portico and returning along west front. East and west return elevations of 5 window bays, with 2-storey canted bay to east and single-storey canted bay to west. South elevation: central section slightly recessed from wings, but with central break. 1820's terrace to 'piano nobile', about 8 metres wide, with Coade stone anthemion balustrade, and arcading to basement below. West end curved round gable end with descending flight of steps. Doric pilasters to corners of wings on 'piano nobile', carrying plain frieze and cornice. Moulded eaves cornice to wings, continued as string course across central section. Plain parapet to wings. Balustraded parapet to whole of central section. Regular 15-window front as north elevation, but formerly with canted bay to centre of each wing. 15-pane windows without cornices, to 'piano nobile' of wings, and cross-windows to central section with cornices and Venetian shutters. Doric pilasters flanking French windows to centre. Round-headed basement sashes with canted bay of 3 windows to centre of each wing, beneath terrace. 2-storey tetrastyle Corinthian portico of 1820's to central break, rising from terrace, with plain frieze and moulded triangular pediment. Interior: only partly inspected. Entrance hall of 1730's with moulded panelling and cornices, frieze of arabesques, enriched plaster ceiling, black and white marble fireplace with terms, and doorcases with shouldered architraves. Room to north-west side of entrance hall with fielded panelling, moulded and modillioned plaster ceiling, and shouldered fireplace surround. Service stairs to east of entrance with C18 ramped fielded panelling. Small room to east of service stairs with fielded panelling and modillioned cornice. Cantilevered staircase with wreathed C20 brass handrail and c.1825 crossed iron balusters, in top-lit well. Small rectangular east central room on ground floor with painted and gilded ceiling of 1820's. Panelled first- floor axial corridor with stone slab floor. 3 other rooms on each of ground and first floors, with moulded cornices and plaster ceilings and doorcases of 1820's, and with late C18 or C19 chimney pieces. Basement room with painted brick vault on rectangular piers. (Country Life March 29th and April 5th, 1946; J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980; H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1978).

Listing NGR: TQ7518849322

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)
'Country Life' in 29 March, (1946)
'Country Life' in 5 April, (1946)

National Grid Reference: TQ 75797 49957

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 01:30:43.