List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RICHMOND FOOTBRIDGE, LOCK AND SLUICES

List entry Number: 1250044

Location

RICHMOND FOOTBRIDGE, LOCK AND SLUICES, RICHMOND LOCK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityRichmond upon ThamesLondon Borough

National Park: 

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-May-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Mar-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 432275

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:-

TQ 1675 & TQ 1775 RICHMOND LOCK

8/13 Richmond Footbridge

The entry shall be amended to read:-

TQ 1675 & TQ 1775 RICHMOND LOCK

8/13 Richmond Footbridge, lock and sluices

II*

Foot bridge incorporating lock and sluices. 1891, designed by the engineer F.G.M. Stoney (1837-97) who took out 7 patents relating to sluices between 1873 and 1894, but design of the lock-houses by the surveyors Hunt and Steward and ironwork by the firm of Ransome and Rapier of Ipswich. 2 parallel 5 arched bridges of cast iron supported by stone piers with brick and stone lock houses at each end. Each bridge has 5 flat arches of cast iron with spandrels lightened and decorated by vertical slots. Stone piers have round-headed niches to keystones above pointed cutwaters. Elaborate cast iron balustrade with lamp standards positioned over centres of arches. On each bank the bridge is elevated on a brick base serving as a lock keepers cottage with stone dressings and double flight of steps. The overall span is of 348 feet. The central 66 feet spans incorporating 3 sluices which can be raised and stowed horizontally in the space between the 2 bridges. Beneath the outer spans, each of 50 feet were three parallel lines of rollers of which one now remains. the bridges carry public walkways (all closed at time of survey) and there is a toll booth of brick and weather boarding with fretted canopy at the upper level on the Surrey side. This bridge has considerable importance in the history of hydraulic engineering as Stoney first applied here the principal of the floating sluice gate and here pioneered his apparatus for turning the lifted gates into the horizontal position. These principals were later used in his Manchester Ship Canal (1894) and Aswan Dam (1902).

------------------------------------

1. 5028 RICHMOND LOCK

Richmond Footbridge TQ 1675 & 1775 8/13

II

2. 1894. Five-arched bridge in cast-iron upon stone piers. Ironwork by Ransome and Rapier of Ipswich and "Stoney's Patent" used for associated sluices. Two parallel bridges joined by blue brick piers. Each bridge 5 flat arches of cast-iron with spandrels lightened and decorated by vertical slots. Stone piers with niches to keystones above cutwaters. Elaborate cast-iron balustrade. Lamp standards positioned over centres of arches. Bridge elevated on both banks upon brick and stone base with double flight of steps.

Listing NGR: TQ1701575056

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 17015 75056

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 12:05:24.