List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EAST MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1249485

Location

EAST MANOR HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyWaverleyDistrict AuthorityBramley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Oct-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 291233

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 04SW BRAMLEY C.P. HIGH STREET (West Side)

5/35 East Manor House 9/3/60 (Formerly listed as East Manor House and attached cottages).

GV II*

House. Principal range circa 1540, with later C16 and C17 extensions. Timber framed on rendered plinth with whitewashed render infill to exposed frame, some brick cladding to ground floor and plain tiled roofs. Irregular plan with main range to south, gabled cross wing to east end (facing street) and wing to north at right angles. Two storeys with attics in gables. Street front:- Large gable to right with Queen-post truss, and diagonal bracing to first floor. One leaded five-light window to first floor, one three-light and one two-light window on the ground floor. Offset stack to left and large C17 sandstone and brick crow- stepped stack to left end. Single storey screen wall to left of centre with round arched, ribbed and studded door. Left hand return front (Principal front) facing south:- Two storeys, jettied on moulded bressumer to first floor. Four framed bays to left with ogee bracing to first floor. Three leaded casement windows to first floor and two small, square bay windows below with further window between. One four-light window on each floor of gabled bay to right. Door to right of centre at junction with cross wing, massive multiple, corbelled stacks to ridge of rear wing to left. Rear:- Wings project to form courtyard with fine tall, gabled stair vice with decorative half-circle framing. Door to ground floor right with diamond shape framed panel over. Irregular, leaded fenestration above. Interior:- Substantial quantities of framing exposed and deep brick fireplaces. Stop chamfered spinebeams to main rooms. Original spiral central newel stair surviving. Some wall paintings of C16 date survive - some on beams and others on canvas attached to walls, including fragments of texts, and floral patterns.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.118. V.C.H. (1967 Edn) Vol. III. pp.80-86. SURREY ARCHAEOLOGICAL COLLECTIONS VOL. XXXVII (1926) p.83 Article on East Manor House by P.M. Johnston.

Listing NGR: TQ0105644510

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911)
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 118
Johnston, P M, 'Surrey Archaeological Society Collections' in East Manor House Bramley, , Vol. 37, (1926), 83

National Grid Reference: TQ 01056 44510

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2014 at 05:45:08.