List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1249439

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityWambrook

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 431569

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST20NE WAMBROOK CP WAMBROOK VILLAGE ILLAGE 7/127 Church of St Mary

4. 2,58

GV II*

Parish church. C13 in origin, C15 nave rebuilt and porches added, bell-tower extant by 1405, 1812 chancel rebuilt except south wall, roof and upper walls of nave renewed, vestry added, church restored and refitted; 1932 south porch roof restored to the design of Herbert Read, 1963 south porch converted to chapel, north porch closed and entrance via west door of tower; tower undergoing restoration at time of survey (October 1985). Random rubble chert stone, west face of tower squared and coursed chert banded and dressed limestone, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, plain clay tile to chancel, coped verges, west tower with north-east stair turret, 3-bay aisless nave, north and south porches now blocked, entry via west tower, north-east vestry and chancel. Crenellated 3-stage tower with setback buttresses rising almost to parapet, 2-light louvred bell-openings, continuous hoodmould to 3-light best window resting on Ham stone pierces quatrefoil decorative string, Tudor arch head doorway; C19 door: on north face below bell-opening 2-light trefoil- headed window with quatrefoil pierced panels, (one missing at tide of survey); polygonal stair turret rising above tower. south front of nave 4-light Tudor arch head mullion window left of single storey gabled porch flanked by stepped buttresses to nave wall, moulded arch head blocked doorway opening with inserted 3-light window, to right 3-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window, stepped buttress to nave, 2-light window and lancet to unbuttressed chancel, 3-light east window, lancet on-north face, vestry with lancet on east face, 2-light window on north face with chimney in gable end, door on west front, small rood stair light with 4-centred arch head, 3-light cinquefoil- headed mullioned window left of former porch flanked by stepped buttresses against nave wall, hoodmould of original entrance remains, inserted C20 2- light window, nave unlit to right. Handsome cast-iron rainwater pipes c1812, Interior: rendered; remains of colour on jambs of north-east nave window. C19 Perpendicular-style chancel arch with low wall and 4 steps down to nave; hollow wave moulded chancel arch; former south doorway to nave with chamfered columns, mutilated inmost and Norman arch; C19 arch to former north entrance.Unexplained infill with pointed top at junction of north wall with stair turret. Chamfered Tudor arch head stiar turret door way. C19 roofs; very shallow wagon roof to chancel, ribbed and boarded over sanctuary with moulded Ham stone wallplate; nave shallow ribbed wagon roof; south porch wagon roof ribbed with wallplate and carved bosses restored 1932. West gallery in tower carried on cast iron columns with decorative capitals, Cl9 wooden balustrade. Some C15 ends reset. Pulpit composed of liienfold panelling of uncertain age. Octagonal C13 font with C17 flat ribbed cover. Painted latin inscriptions on pieces of wood in chancel, thought to be cautions to medieval wallpaintings of the Passion now vanished. royal Coat of Arms (Queen Anne) dated 1703 and subsequently repainted. Collection of C19 memorial tablets of members of the Beviss family, white marble and slate; 2 signed by Stephens of Exeter, one by Fentiman, Taunton. Decorative C19 leading to all windows, some medieval glass in north wall of chancel, Wooden bier with rubber wheels in tower. Bells (i) and (ii) 1892 John Warner and Sons, London, recast from the C15 tenor bell, (iii) and (iv) early C14 Bristol foundry, (v) early C16 Thomas Jeffries Bristol, the church is mentioned as a chapel 1215-20, In the 1560s the roof was thatched and shingled but was leaded by 1613, Proposals for a rebuilding of the fabric in 1860 was not executed. (VCH Vol IV, 1978)

Listing NGR: ST2939407707

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978)

National Grid Reference: ST 29394 07707

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 05:59:52.