List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WASSAND HALL

List entry Number: 1249398

Location

WASSAND HALL, WASSAND ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East Riding of YorkshireUnitary AuthoritySeaton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 09-May-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 431518

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



SEATON

TA 14 NE WASSAND ROAD, Wassand Park (South side) 552- /6/65 Wassand Hall 04/03/52 II*

Country house. 1813-19, additions 1843 and late C19, restored and reduced 1947-48. Designed by Thomas Cundy for the Rev Charles Constable and restored by Francis Johnson for Sir Marmaduke Strickland-Constable. White brick with ashlar dressings and slate hipped roof with domed lantern and brick stacks. Ashlar plinth, first floor band and eaves cornice. 2 storey. West entrance front, 3 windows with slightly projecting centre. Central doorway has wooden pedimented doorway with glazed double doors flanked by single, narrow glazing bar sashes. Eitherside a single full height tripartite window with glazing bar sashes. Above a similar central window flanked by single glazing bar sashes. Set back service wing to right has 3 glazing bar sashes with 2 similar sashes above. South front, 5 windows. Central window has moulded ashlar surround with flat bracketed hood reached up 3 steps. Ground floor has full height glazing bar sashes, smaller sashes above. Set back lower service wing. East front, 6 windows. Ground floor has tall glazing bar sashes with small ashlar panels below, smaller sashes above. Set back wing to left has tripartite sashes inserted 1948 and single glazing bar sashes beyond. North entrance front, built after removal of service wing 1947-48, has central 3 window projection topped by a parapet. Central projecting porch with open pediment supported on pilasters flanking round headed doorway with double panel doors and ornate fanlight with double keystone. Above single round headed sash with small blind window above. Eitherside single oval windows with single glazing bar sashes above. INTERIOR. Retains original doors, doorcases, window shutters and ornate plaster coving throughout. 2 storey galleried entrance hall lit by circular domed lantern and staircase with 2 barley-sugar baluster per tread and semi-circular roof light. Library retains original tripartite bookcases. Reception rooms retain original marble fireplaces. Dining room has mid C18 pine fireplace reused from previous house. Bedrooms mostly retain original fireplaces. This fine quality Regency house, which was carefully restored by Francis Johnson 1947-48, retains almost all its original internal features intact.



Listing NGR: TA1740746037

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 17407 46037

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 04:43:20.