List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WESTON FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1249296

Location

WESTON FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityWambrook

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 431374

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WAMBROOK CP ST20NE -

7/116 Weston Farmhouse (formerly listed as Weston Manor, in Combe St Nicholas CP) 4.2.58

- II*

Manor house, now farmhouse. Late medieval, restored and north-east wing added probably late C16, porch dated 1672, coeval with stair turret, possibly reroofed mid C19 and largely refenestrated, extensively restored late 1940s and late 1970s. Roughly squared and coursed local stone, Ham stone dressings, Bridgwater patent tiled roof, boxed eaves, coped verges, stone stacks left gable and and to left of porch, brick stack right gable end, and in lower independently roofed addition right. Plan internally much altered: probably open hall house, ceiled to 3-cell and cross passage facing south, north-east wing, porch and north-west stair turret added and roof raised, cottage addition at east gable end; now with screens passage removed and staircase inserted, former kitchen now dining room, and hall used as kitchen cut by inserted through corridor to stair turret, inner room now farm office. Two storeys with unlit attic, 3:1:1 bays with addition right, 3-storey gabled porch second bay right, first floor windows set well below eaves, all 3-light wooden casements under hoodmoulds, ground floor 4-light right under hoodmould, C20 door inserted in window opening with hoodmould remaining, 4-light Ham stone ovolo moulded mullioned window to left of porch, renewed 4-light stone mullioned window to right; porch with patterned slate hung gable end and date stone, evidence of blocked window below, first floor leaded 2-light wiiden casement, ashlar doorcase below moulded string, moulded arch with keystone and pilasters, C20 glazed door inserted, fine moulded inner doorway with ornate stops of a sunburst and turret design, C17 door. Rear elevation; 3 storeys, irregular fenestration mostly C20, small stone window on ground floor of 3-storey stair turret, main feature of interest random rubble 2-storey north-east wing, east front 7-light ovolo moulded Ham stone mullioned window first floor, similar 9- light below. Datestone of 1583 on west front, said to have been reset from gable end. Interior much altered in C20; north-west wing ground floor fine moulded 6-panel compartment ceiling with decorative plasterwork panels of heraldic animals and birds. The coat of arms of the Bonner family has been identified in one panel. Modern orate. Barrel vaulted bedroom ceiling above with scroll pattern of mulberry and oak leaf design. Plank and muntin screen with shaped head opening between former through passage and former kitchen, latter with modern grate but with evidence that stairs formerly stood in south-east corner. Good depressed ogee-head doorframe with ornate stops to stair turret, first floor remains of pair of shaped head doorframes at head of stairs, some C17 doors surviving. Attic space still contains C17 features including doors. A row of gabled dormers were probably added when roof raised in late C17, but removed in Cl9. If the date of 1583 is correct for the north-vest wing, this would be one of the earliest examples of ovolo moulded mullions in the area. A very interesting manor house off the site of a deserted village. (Country Life, September 25, 1949,0891).

Listing NGR: ST2912909117

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 23 September - Date: 1949 - Journal Title: Country Life - Page References: 891

National Grid Reference: ST 29129 09117

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:27:55.