List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1248778

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, BANBURY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireCherwellDistrict AuthorityBroughton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 430519

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BROUGHTON BANBURY ROAD SP43NW (West side) 1/233 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 08/12/55

GV 1

Church. c.1300. South aisle clerestory late C14. Nave clerestorey C15. Small-scale general restoration 1825. Sedilia and piscina restored by Giltert Scott 1858. Complete restoration 1877-1880 by Gilbert Scott and G.G. Scott. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Lead roofs. Chancel, nave, west tower, south aisle, south porch, north vestry. Chancel: Large 6-light curvilinear east window; south window has square head and 2 lights with quatrefoils and mouchettes; three 2-light north windows have trefoils, mouchettes and quatrefoils. Nave: pointed arched doorway to right flanked by 2-light windows with Y-tracery. A 3-light similar window to left. Four 2-light Perpendicular windows to clerestory. Some limestone tracery in windows. Tower: West door has wave and hollow mouldings with ballflower and ogee hood with finial; 3 stages; 2-light bell openings have Y-tracery; broach spire with lucarnes and crocketed gables. South aisle; West window of 3 lights with intersecting tracery, hood mould and head stops; 4-light geometrical east windows. Gabled, south porch to left; south doorway has pointed arch and 3 orders of hollow moulding, the outer 2 carried on shafts with bell capitals; plank door; to right of porch a 3-light window with intersecting tracery, a doorway with chamfered head and a 5-light window. Three 2-light Decorated windows to clerestorey have square heads. Chancel has stone coping to steep roof and angle buttresses. Nave has flat band and a continuous band below windows and moulded parapet; south aisle has parapet with Decorated canopied niches above east and west windows; parapet has finials, ballflower, heads and floral decoration; Tower has angle buttresses. Interior: Decorated chancel arch has wave mouldings. 3-seat seilia and piscina C19. 4-bay arcade of south aisle, transitional Early English/Decorated, has round piers moulded capitals, double chamfered arches and half quatrefoil responds. Stone chancel screen noted as a rare example of the Decorated style, has 3 crocketed ogee arches either side of the central arch and a cornice with head corbels. Blocked squint in east wall of chancel; C12 font has cable moulded rim. C19 stone pulpit. Comwumion rails l637. Nave beam dated 1684, some plain and slip decorated late medieval floor tiles. Wall paintings: C14 fragments in north and east walls of chancel and north wall of nave. Monuments: 3 notable medieval monuments, restored C19: In the south aisle, effigy of a cross-legged knight, probably John de Broughton d.1315 with a lion at his feet and angels supporting his pillow in an elaborately canopied recess, both effigy and canopy violently coloured 1846; in the chancel, alabaster effigies in an elaborately decorated tomb recess of a knight and lady, the knight is probably Sir Thomas Wykeham d.1470; in the south aisle the effigy of a knight in plate armour c.1350 on a C15 tomb chest; also in the south aisle a tomb with canopy, panelled vault with pendants and probably the arms of Edward Fiennes, 1528; double chest tomb in the chancel to William first Lord Saye and Sele d.1662 and wife Elizabeth d.1648 has chest carved with sheilds and strapwork cartouches and plain black marble slab. A C13 stone coffin lid in south aisle. C19 monuments: in chancel to Richard Haydon d.1837; in south aisle to Maria Marow d.1834, William twelfth Lord Saye and Sele d.1847, Ellen Twisleton d.1862. Brass in south aisle to Lady Philippa Bishopsden d.1414. 10 hatchments in the south aisle dated 1666 to 1847 all commemorating Fiennes or Twisletons who lived at Broughton Castle. Stained glass: 3 circular Cl6 heraldic panels in south window, other C19 glass by Lavers and Westlake, Kempe, Clayton and Bell, Burlinson and Grylls and Munich glass. A fine example of the transitional Early English/Decorated stage. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.IX, pp.99-100; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, pp.490-492; The Hatchments in Broughton Church, church pamphlet).

Listing NGR: SP4186038321

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Oxford - Date: 1969 - Volume: 9 - Page References: 99-100
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 490-492

National Grid Reference: SP 41861 38321

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 09:35:09.