List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1248577

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityCompton Pauncefoot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263356

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COMPTON PAUNCEFOOT CP ST62NW COMPTON PAUNCEFOOT VILLAGE 4/36 Church of St Mary 24.3.61 GV II* Anglican parish church. C15, restored and north aisle added in aid C19. Cary stone roughly cut and squared, Doulting stone dressings; stone slate roofs between stepped coped gables with cross finials. Four-cell plan of single hay chancel, 2-bay nave and north and south aisles, with small north-east vestry, south porch, and west tower with spire. Chancel has double plinth, eaves course, offset corner buttresses; east window of 3-lights with C15 tracery. arched label with square stops; single south window of 2 lights to match, with plain stops to label; north window similar, but set in deep hollowed recess, with square foliated label stops. Small vestry of C19; plinth, string and eaves courses, coped east gable and medieval style north-east chimney with conical top; in east wall, arched doorway in corner with 2-light C16 style flat arched window to right, and in gable a cusped lancet. North aisle C19, but the west window may have been transferred from the south aisle, now blocked; plinth, bay buttresses, eaves course; C15 style 3-light traceried windows in hollowed recesses with square stopped arched labels. South aisle his similar windows, 2 in south wall and one in east. South porch possibly late C15, but of different build to church; details match aisles; outer archwav moulded, with pointed arch set under square label with foliage carved spandrils; above a cusped ogee-arched statue recess with foliated base, with C19 statue of Virgin and Child, small incised sundial to right; inner doorway a relatively plain moulded pointed arch. Tower of 2 stages, possibly earlier: plinth, angled corner buttresses to full height of taller lower stage, string courses and plain shallow parapet; octagonal spire with ribbed edges, traceried band at mid-height, crowned with weathervane reading 'J H 1804': west window 3-light, later Curvilinear tracery with square stop label: in upper stage pairs of cusped lancets each face. Interior rather C19 in character, with boarded panelled, moulded ribbed and bossed vaulted ceilings, all with faded C19 colouring. Chancel has simple piscina and squint to south aisle, wide panelled chancel arch; C19 fittings and 1934 dado panelling. Nave arcades C15 character. the north a C19 copy of south, with 4-shaft, 4-hollow columns; smaller possibly C14 tower arch: in south aisle six quatrefoil panels with shields under south-east window, also small carved stone tablet to Anne Whiting, died 1535. Fittings C19, with nicely carved stone pulpit: pews give no centre aisle; font possibly C19, plain octagonal bowl on circular shaft: 1953 carved reredos to south altar. Memorials include large monument blocking former west window of south aisle commemorating several generations of John Hunts, the last of whom, who died in l830, reshaped Compton Lodge into Compton Castle (qv): in north wall of tower marble monument to a John Hunt died 1660, and opposite a simpler marble memorial to William Bragge died 1778. Stained glass by several artists, including 5 picture gloss windows by Capronnier of Brussels, dated l877; west window by Kempe 1896; side chancel windows C20, by Easton. Church first mentioned 1262, first recorded rector 1316; major rebuilding probably occurred after 1485 bequest of Sir Walter Pauncefoot for 'the building of the church', and ' the making of myne ile there'. (Heynes RF, Three Camelot Churches, Country Life 6 November 1980; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6440226161

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Country Life' in 6 November, (1980)

National Grid Reference: ST 64402 26161

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 10:17:13.