List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STANDERWICK FARM

List entry Number: 1248456

Location

STANDERWICK FARM, PYLE WELL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityBabcary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263338

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BABCARY CP PYLE WELL LANE ST52NE HIGHER FODDINGTON 3/18 Standerwick Farm 17.4.59 - II* Detached farmhouse. Circa 1400 and c1550, with later modifications. Local grey lias stone roughly cut and squared, Doulting and Ham stone dressings; double Roman clay tile roofs, gabled, with some copings; brick and stone chimney stacks. L-plan; 2 storeys, the southern section with attic; west elevation 5 bays. Bays 1 to 3 represent the earlier building, with hollow-chamfer mullioned windows in wave mould reveals, with square labels; to lower bays 1 and 2 flat arched lights of 3 and 2 lights respectively; to lower bay 3 an earlier 2-light window with 4-centre arched lights; above C20 windows to match set in gables: bays 4 and 5 represent the later wing at right angles, with outshut to angle; lower bay 4 has a 2-light C15 traceried window, bay 5 has 2-light C15 hollow chamfer mullioned windows to right of a projecting chimney stack with offsets: between lower bays 2 and 3 a projecting porch with 4-centre moulded arch dorway and studded boarded door set under coped gable. South elevation of 2 bays, with dividing buttress; C16 4-centre arched light hollow chamfered mullioned windows with incised spandrels, of 4-lights bay 1 and 2-lights upper bay 2; a late: doorway below currently protected by C20 conservatory with stone wing walls and clay tile roof. Inside the lower earlier portion has one fine ground floor room with a 9-panel ceiling having deep moulded beams, C17 wall panelling and a fireplace surround, possibly C15, relocated from first floor: south portion has circular stone stair to first floor, and one good main room with a 9-panel ceiling having chamfered beams, a moulded cambered arched fireplace with carved shields in spandrels and apparently early herringbone brick fireback, and a chamfered edge elm overlap board partition; the roof to the north portion of C20, but to the south portion (not inspected) said to be of original date; on 1859 photograph in the house shows that both roofs were originally thatched. Quite possibly a manor house; north of the house are the unexcavated remains of a medieval village; to the east is a fishpond, and there are substantial traces of a moat.

Listing NGR: ST5820629174

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 58206 29174

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 12:58:20.