List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PATRICK

List entry Number: 1248182

Location

CHURCH OF ST PATRICK, KIMBERLEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NottinghamshireBroxtoweDistrict AuthorityNuthall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 429733

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 54 SW NUTHALL KIMBERLEY ROAD (north side)

5/49 Church of St. Patrick 13.10.66 G.V. II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C18. Restored 1838. Re-roofed 1858 and 1884. Restored and vestry and organ chamber added by James Fowler, 1884. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar. Slate gabled and copper and lead lean-to roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinths, coped gables with kneelers and crosses, crenellated octagonal side wall stack. West tower, nave, north aisle, 2 vestries and organ chamber, chancel, south porch. West tower, C13 and C18, 2 stages, has string course and crenellated parapet. First stage has to west, C13 doorway with hood mould and mask stops. Above, restored double lancet with flowing tracery and hood mould. Second stage has to north and south 2 chamfered openings. To west, 3 similar stepped openings. To east, a similar divided opening. North aisle, 3 bays, has a diagonal buttress to west. West end has C15 triple lancet with panel tracery. North side has 2 similar double lancets flanking vestry. Vestry, 1974, has casement and door to west and 2 casements to east. Organ chamber has sill band and 2 diagonal buttresses. North tgable has Decorated double lancet with hood mould and mask stops. Vestry, 1884, lean-to, has a diagonal buttress. North side has doorway. East side has C15 style double lancet with hood mould. Chancel, late C14, 2 bays, has sill band at east end with gargoyle finials. East end has triple lancet with panel tracery. South side has off-centre buttress flanked by single restored late C14 double lancets with Decorated tracery and square reveals. Nave, late C14, 4 bays, has 4 buttresses. South side has 3 double lancets with Decorated tracery and square reveals. South porch, rebuilt C19, has to south, pair of flanking buttresses and depressed moulded arched doorway with hood mould. Above, C19 lamp with ornate bracket. Interior has 2 stone benches and common rafter roof. C14 inner doorway has cove moulding with fleurons, shafts, and hood mould with crowned mask stops. Double chamfered and rebated tower arch, C13, has half-round responds. North arcade, c.1400, 3 bays, has octagonal piers and double chamfered and rebated arches with beast mask stops. South side has to east, C14 piscina. 2 C20 stained glass windows. Purl in roof with arch braces. North aisle west end has C19 stained glass. East end has C14 tomb recess and C19 archway with C20 traceried screen. North side has blocked central lancet. C19 lean-to roof. Double chamfered and rebated chancel arch, C14, has to its left, blocked squint. Early C15 traceried wooden screen with cresting. North side has to west, recess containing organ in Gothic case, 1871. East end has traceried panelled War Memorial reredos, 1949, and late C15 stained glass window, re-sited 1853. South side has to east, C14 double piscina. To west, window with 4 late C15 stained glass shields. Purlin roof with arch braces. Memorials include moulded recess containing ashlar table and alabaster effigy to Sir Robert Cokefield, c.1392. Incised slabs C13 and 1558. Slate wall tablets, 1699 and 1710. Larger slate tablet with apron, 1736, and shield-shaped marble and slate tablet, 1786. 5 marble and slate tablets, C19. 4 late C19 brasses. Marble and alabaster War Memorial tablet c.1918. Fittings include C19 traceried octagonal pulpit and lectern. Octagonal font, 1886. Benches with shaped ends, 1884. Stalls and desks, 1939. Prayer desks, 1949.

Listing NGR: SK5147544473

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 51475 44473

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 06:35:08.