List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY AND ADJOINING BALUSTRADE

List entry Number: 1248170

Location

THE OLD RECTORY AND ADJOINING BALUSTRADE, REDMARSHALL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Stockton-on-TeesUnitary AuthorityRedmarshall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 59669

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REDMARSHALL REDMARSHALL ROAD NZ 32 SE (South side) 5/733 The Old Rectory and adjoining Balustrade GV II Rectory, 1845 by F. Austin (Newcastle), incorporating north and west walls of mid/ late C17 rectory. Now a house and 2 flats. Red brick, the 1845 work in Flemish bond red sandstone dressings and balustrade. Slate roof with stone ridge and gable copings. L plan; vernacular Jacobean revival style. 2 storeys; 2 bays and right blank gabled projecting wing to east front. Panelled double doors, with moulded stiles and rails, in pointed double hollow-chamfered surround with hoodmould, between the bays. Above door, stepped-headed plaque with raised lettering: "A.D. 1845 EDWDO: MALTBY EPISCPO: THA AUSTIN RECTRE: DOMINE DIRIGE NOS". Double-chamfered mullioned-and- transomed windows; left canted bay window with hipped stone slab roof. Dripmould between floors. 2 gabled dormers. Stepped and corniced ridge and offset external end stacks, that on left return bearing sculptured arms of Lord Crewe, Bishop of Durham. 2-bay left return of wing has one gabled dormer. Similar windows in north and west faces, the former with lean-to service staircase wing and late c19 1-storey left extension, the latter with staircase window with margin lights. INTERIOR: main staircase has spiral balusters, moulded handrail and ball finials on plain square newels; service staircase has stick balusters and moulded handrail. Geometric-pattern balustrade, with panelled pedestal piers, adjoins south-east corner of front wing. 1-storey lean-to extensions at right of north face are not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ3864121206

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 38641 21206

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 07:24:22.