List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1248077

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthoritySkilgate

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Aug-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 429581

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS92NE SKILGATE CP SKILGATE VILLAGE

10/10 Church of St John (formerly listed as Church of St John the Baptist) 6.4.59

G II*

Parish church. Tower probably C14, tower arch and body of church rebuilt 1872, possibly incorporating some original masonry, architect unknown, builders How of Brompton Regis, choir stalls added and chancel floor relaid 1933, minor restoration 1972 when electricity installed. Random rubble local stone, flat bedded in tower, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, decorative ridge tiles. West tower, 2-bay nave and north aisle, south porch, chancel and vestry. Crenellated 2-stage tower, unbuttressed west end, large stepped buttresses at junction with nave rising to just below bell-openings, louvred lancet bell-openinqs, voussoirs of former west window cutting string courses, inserted C19 west window below, hoodmould with face terminals as on all other window openings, no west door; south front gabled single storey porch, moulded arch opening, detached piece of unidentified medieval stonework in porch, moulded arched inner doorway with square hole cut in left jamb, raised and fielded panel door, 3-light window to right, gabled top to stepped buttress at junction with chancel, two 2-light windows south front of chancel, 3-light east window, chamfered arched doorway to vestry, 2 lancets on north front, two 2-light windows to north aisle, 2-light window west end. Interior: rendered. C19 pointed arches resting on corbels to tower and chancel; scissor truss roofs to nave and chancel, latter with wall plate, monopitch roof to north aisle. C19 fittings including brass lectern with sconces, possibly by Bardman of Birmingham. (Allen, Exmoor Churches, 1974; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: SS9868927235

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Allen, NV , The Churches and Chapels of Exmoor, (1974)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SS 98689 27235

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 01:30:33.