List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1248030

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityHuish Champflower

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 429522

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST02NW HUISH CHAMPFLOWER CP HUISH CHAMPFLOWER VILLAGE

11/97 Church of St Peter

6.4.59

GV I

Parish church. C15, north aisle c1534 probably including reset Cl4-C15 work, tower arch 1703, reopened 1846, restored 1875-80 when chancel arch rebuilt. Squared rubble local stone, tower and west end of aisle roughcast, Ham and red sandstone dressings, slate roofs, plain verges. West tower with stair turret, 4-bay nave with north aisle, north chapel, south porch, chancel. Crenellated 3-stage diagonally buttressed tower with plinth, string course, 2-light louvred bell-openings with blocked trefoil headed statue niches resting on string course, similar blocked niche with hoodmould to second stage, 3-light west window, moulded arch west doorway with C20 door, crenellated south-east stair turret; buttressed south front, one 3-light window left and 2 right of single storey gabled porch, double chamfered arch dying into imposts in outer doorway, moulded arched inner doorway, C19 door, fine slate headstone on right return of porch to Robert Bucknell, died 1772, inscribed "John Yandell cut it, Wiveliscombe 1772"; 2-light windows under square hoodmoulds flanking chamfered priests door, 3-light east window, very fine 6-light east window to aisle, set back buttresses, 3-light cinquefoil headed window, rood stair turret projection with 2 lancets, moulded, blocked doorway, 4-light window, hoodmould with face terminals, 2 buttresses, 3-light window under square hoodmould, 4-light west window to aisle. Interior: rendered. Pointed C19 chancel arch, chamfered tower arch with exposed quoins 4-bay arcade of 8 clustered colonnettes with double chamfered arches and alternating leafband and acanthus leaf capitals; plain chamfer to semi-circular arch between chapel and chancel; chamfered semi-circular arch stair turret door. C19 roofs, scissor truss to chancel, boarded ribbed wagon roof with bosses in nave and chancel. C19 encaustic tile reredos. Nave carved eagle lectern, early C18; C18 altar rails, 2 twisted to one fluted with moulded handrail swept down at either end. Some medieval stained glass east window of aisle, east window of chancel memorial to deceased 1872, lancet in chancel signed by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1915. Circular Norman font with ribbed C17 pointed cover. Collection of memorials, draped urn on tablet to Sarah Darch died 1808, with panel below, similar but half size to Richard Darch; pedimented tablet with inverted torches to Alexander Webber of Gathealton Court, Bathealton CP (qv), died 1844; tablet to William Goot, died 1796, signed W Long, Taunton; marble tablet in chancel to Mary Clerk, died 174- with carved heart set on top in normal position of coat of arms; tablets to members of the Guppy family, signed Richards, Wiveliscombe. The majority of the floor of the north aisle has been concreted over. The east window of the aisle and the arcade are said to have come from Barlynch Priory, Brompton Regis CP (qv); and a bequest was made for a new aisle (ambulatorius) in 1534. (VCB Somerset, Vol 5, 1985; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Photograph in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST0491029210

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 04910 29200

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 10:17:42.