List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PIXTON PARK

List entry Number: 1247974

Location

PIXTON PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityDulverton

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 429463

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS92NW DULVERTON CP

PIXTON PARK

9/86 Pixton Park

6.4.59

- II*

Country house. Circa 1760, altered internally cl820, 1870 again altered internally, west wing with billiard room added, entrance resited on north front, entrance hall with service wing added on east side. Built for the Acland family, altered by the Earl of Carnarvon. Roughcast over rubble, Ham stone dressings, hipped slate roofs, mansard to billiard wing, tall stacks rising on returns, modillion cornice on south front. Plan: original block double pile. Billiard room added south-west corner, entrance porch added north-east corner opening into through corridor with service wing adjoining an east front. South front: original block 3-storey, billiard wing 2-storey plus attic, 2:1:3:1 bays, pediment to central 3 bays, giant Ionic pilasters divided by flat string course set over basement, second floor 9-pane sash windows, 12-pane first floor, ground floor 18-pane in billiard wing, 12-pane right, arch head niches with aprons above in centre pedimented doorcase right in single storey entrance wing, service wing beyond to right. Interior: hall altered in 1870, divided by 3-bay arcade, staircase rising on north front, to south top lit gallery continued around 2 storeys supported by large modillion brackets. Some early C19 plaster cornices in south front rooms and white marble chimney piece, (the dining room chimney piece removed after former listing), panelled shutters, pedimented doorcases and original doors. It is believed that the house was originally entered on the east front via a courtyard formed from 2 flanking service wings demolished in 1870. This was the home of Col Molyneux Herbert who lies in the memorial chapel in Brushford Church (qv). Photographs in NMR; Press, Somersetshire County Houses and Villages, 1931).

Listing NGR: SS9248627176

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Somersetshire Country Houses and Villages 1931-32, (1931)

National Grid Reference: SS 92486 27176

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 04:25:20.