List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1247805

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthumberlandUnitary AuthorityWhalton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 429179

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHALTON WHALTON VILLAGE NZ 1381 (South side, off) 12/187 Church of St. 28.4.69 Mary Magdalene GV I Parish Church. West tower probably C11; north arcade west respond early C12; church remodelled with 3-bay aisled nave and 2-bay Ogle chapel north of chancel in early C13; later medieval alterations included refenestration, raising of walls and lowering of roof pitch. Rewindowed late in C18 with sashes, most replaced in Gothic style in 1908 restoration when south porch rebuilt. Squared stone with cut dressings; low-pitched lead roofs.

Tower on stepped and chamfered plinth, with later stepped buttress on south. Gothick west window with imposts and hoodmould, holding 16-pane sash with intersecting glazing bars. Single segment-headed light on west below belfry, and single-handed 1796 clockface on east. Broad trefoiled bell openings except for round-headed light on west. Embattled parapet. South porch with diagonal buttresses and double boarded doors under pointed arch with ogee hoodmould and finial. Within porch, double-chamfered south door has hoodmould with head stops. South aisle shows west lancet, 2-light east window with reticulated tracery, and two 1908 south windows above traces of blocked lancets and carved shield with Ogle arms. Single square-headed clerestorey window. North aisle has stepped diagonal north-west buttress, west lancet, and 3 early C20 north windows; traces of earlier openings beneath. Chancel has small stepped set-back east buttresses and similar buttress on south wall. 2 early C20 south windows with renewed priest's door between; earlier blocked opening between buttresses to east. 3-light east window. Ogle Chapel has larged stepped diagonal north-east buttress and early C20 windows. Monuments fixed to south walls include 2 small medieval slabs and C18 headstones. Interior: Tall round-headed tower arch of 2 orders with possibly later chamfers, the inner on chamfered imposts. Arcades of double-chamfered pointed arches with broach stops, on slender octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases. South arcade has hoodmould with head stops. Corbel responds, north-west above earlier half-drum with scallop cap. In south aisle: piscina, 4-centred tomb recess with C13 cross slab, rere-arches of 2 blocked lancets and stoup by door. Double-chamfered arch into Ogle Chapel.

Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on responds with nail-head; hoodmould to nave has dragonhead stop above line of former rood beam. Round, double-chamfered chancel arcade on central pier with large dog-tooth between filleted angle shafts with carved masks at top; moulded pier and respond caps with nail-head and cable moulding. To east of arcade large corbel with Ogle arms. South wall shows piscina, traces of sedilia and several blocked openings.

Octagonal C15 font. Traces of wall paintings above nave arcades. In Ogle Chapel 3 floor slabs of 1564, 1566 and 1613, among the earliest armorial stones in the county. Painted benefaction slab of 1720 in north aisle. Royal arms of George III in south aisle. Wall monuments in Ogle Chapel include John Ogle d.1831 and Sara Ogle d.1846, both by E.W. Baily. Carved reredos of 1901; carved choirstalls; marble-tiled sanctuary.

Listing NGR: NZ1306681295

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 13066 81296

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 01:25:22.