List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JULIAN

List entry Number: 1247563

Location

CHURCH OF ST JULIAN, FISH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityShrewsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 457138

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912SW FISH STREET 653-1/15/293 (East side) 10/01/53 Church of St Julian

GV II*

Parish church, now craft centre. Tower is all that remains of a medieval foundation, C12 in lower stage, C15 above. The body of the church 1749-50. By Thomas Farnolls Pritchard. Embellishments to south wall 1846. Lower tower of coursed and squared red sandstone, raised in white sandstone. Nave of brick with stone plinth and dressings, and Welsh slate roof. Lean-to Tuscan porch added against north and south walls of tower, which has 3-light Perpendicular window in its upper stage, and quatrefoil frieze with gargoyles, parapet and pinnacles. Stone plinth of nave has square windows in incised architraves, the upper section divided into bays by paired and single pilasters, each bay with round-arched window with sills carried on triglyph brackets. Triglyph frieze, parapet with balustrading and finials. Shallow squared chancel with Palladian window. INTERIOR: nave of 5 bays with Tuscan arcade, and similar chancel arch. Stained glass in east window by David Evans, 1861. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1958-).

Listing NGR: SJ4928012438

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SJ 49280 12438

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 02:47:23.