List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROYAL MILL

List entry Number: 1247474

Location

ROYAL MILL, REDHILL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan AuthorityNon Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 456965

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8498 REDHILL STREET, Ancoats 698-1/17/462 (North West side) 11/11/88 Royal Mill (Formerly Listed as: HENRY STREET, Ancoats (North East side) Royal Mill)

GV II*

Cotton spinning mill, now clothing works. Dated 1912, and built to use mains electricity. Red brick with terracotta and stone dressings, with cast iron, steel and concrete internal structure. Distinctive baroque detailing. 6 storeys, 10x3 bays, with external stair-tower at NW corner, surmounted by dome, with electric motors housed in towers projecting from E wall. 7 storey entrance block to Redhill Street elevation, built over courtyard entrance and linking Royal Mill with the earlier Sedgwick Mills (qv). This has large segmental archway with cast iron surround. Office to right of entrance, with segmental doorway. Narrow advanced privy turret to left of entrance, with pairs of narrow windows to all floors, and cornice and segmental pedimented parapet. Water tower set back behind entrance block. Wide segmentally arched windows in each bay of main body of mill, which is enriched with banded and panelled corner pilasters, and heavy stone band above 3rd floor windows. The mill forms part of the McConnell Kennedy works, together with the earlier Sedgwick Mills and Paragaon Mill (qv). A further mill (Long Mill) is no longer extant. A stone over the entrance records that the mill replaced an earlier building on the site, originally built in 1797. Included as an early example of a mill designed to use mains electricity from the outset, which forms an important part of the McConnell Kennedy works.

Listing NGR: SJ8497598526

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ8497598526

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 04:56:22.