List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DECKER MILL OLD MILL

List entry Number: 1247473

Location

DECKER MILL, REDHILL STREET
OLD MILL, REDHILL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 456964

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8498 REDHILL STREET, Ancoats 698-1/17/461 (North West side) 20/06/88 Old Mill and Decker Mill (Formerly Listed as: REDHILL STREET, Ancoats (North West side) Murray's Mill)

GV II*

Cotton spinning mills, now clothing factory. Old Mill (to the W) built in 1798, with Decker Mill added to the E in 1802. Brown brick with slate roofs; internal structure of cast iron columns and timber beams. The 2 mills form a continuous range parallel to the canal; both now 7 storeys (although 8 storeys when built), the original 11 bays of Old Mill extended by the 10 bay Decker Mill. Small windows with flat arched brick heads. Stair tower serving both mills towards centre of rear elevation, and 2 narrow heating or ventilation towers against this rear wall. Detached engine house in the yeard beyond (a mid C19 replacement), and octagonal stack with moulded cap adjacent to it. Internal structure has been modified, but it is likely that the original design incorporated joisted floors carried on cruciform cast iron columns (as surviving in part of New Mill, qv). Truncated remains of wing to Bengal Street elevation was formerly a 4-storeyed range used for warehousing, and had been added to the site by 1906. History: built for Adam and George Murray, as the earliest part of what became a large textile working site. The mills were originally provided with their own canal basin in the yard to the rear, which was linked to the Rochdale Canal by an arched tunnel under the street. Fairbairn and Lillie's first major contract was for the renewal of the machine shafting in this mill. Together with New Mill to the rear, these mills are highly significant as a large early textile working site, developed as a single concern around a courtyard/canal basin. Old Mill is also the earliest surviving mill in Manchester.

Listing NGR: SJ8507298584

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 85072 98584

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 11:45:03.