List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HULME BARRACKS

List entry Number: 1247392

Location

HULME BARRACKS, PRINCESS STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1978

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 456844

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89NW PRINCESS STREET, Hulme 698-1/4/718 (West side) 16/11/78 Hulme Barracks (Formerly Listed as: ST GEORGE'S SQUARE, Hulme (West side) Hulme Barracks)

II

Officers' mess with some officers' quarters and quartermaster's house to former Hulme Barracks; now flats. 1817; altered. Red brick, part rendered at rear, with sandstone dressings and hipped slate roofs. Irregular rectangular plan on north-west/south-east axis with main block at south end and crosswing at north end. Georgian style. Two storeys over basement, the main block 1:3:1 windows, with pedimented centre breaking forwards, a 3-window link to the right of this, and 1-window projecting wing, and a dentilled cornice to the whole. The main block has a wide round-headed doorway with panelled door and side panels and large fanlight with radiating glazing bars, and sashed windows with raised stone sills and flat-arched heads of gauged brick, those at ground floor to the left of the doorway protected by an added rectangular stone loggia composed of square pillars with entablature, cornice and blocking course, with wrought-iron railings. The linking range and wing to the north, enclosed by a screen wall, has similar sashed windows. Left gable wall rendered. The rear has a projection to the centre and northern end of the main block, rendered and painted white, with a 2-storey segmental bow which has a pilastered 3-light sashed window at ground floor (8, 12 and 8 panes) and one 12-pane sash above; and the range to the north has 1:3 sashed windows on each floor. Interior not inspected. History: cavalry barracks until 1895, subsequently housed line regiments: men stationed here included Prince Victor Albert, Prince Louis Napoleon, the Prince Imperial, and Winston Churchill; and many royal persons dined in the mess.

Listing NGR: SJ8254996877

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 82549 96877

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2014 at 02:08:09.