List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ASTORIA THEATRE

List entry Number: 1247234

Location

THE ASTORIA THEATRE, 10-14, GLOUCESTER PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Nov-2000

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 486887

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



TQ3104NW GLOUCESTER PLACE 577-1/33/10084 Brighton 22-NOV-00 (West side) 10-14 The Astoria Theatre

GV II



Former cinema, latterly used as a bingo hall, with tea room, flat and shops. 1933 to the designs of Edward A Stone, adapted in 1958 for Todd-AO widescreen films, in 1977 as a bingo hall. Steel frame, clad in brick with faience front; flat roofs. Complex plan of cinema, with balcony, stage, dressing rooms and flytower, set behind range containing shops, tea rooms and manager's flat, to which it is linked by narrow lobby to entrance foyers to right of block and by dressing rooms to left; a lightwell separates this range from that of the auditorium.

Stepped frontage a tripartite composition, with three round-arched lights set under keystones in moulded surrounds, with fluted panel between first and second floors encouraging the two rows of windows to be read as a single composition. Name 'ASTORIA' in set-back panel. Original canopy may survive behind later boxing; late C20 double doors. To left, ten-bay frontage to first-floor tea-room and second-floor accommodation with metal casement windows; ground-floor shops altered and not of special interest.

Interior. Single height vestibule with staircase to balcony at left, whose solid balustrade ends in a curve. Art deco picture rail moulding and combed plasterwork largely boxed in at time of inspection, and inserted office. Above, balcony crush hall with patterned linoleum floor, combed plaster decoration, clock and moulded ceiling; linoleum and plasterwork continues up stairs to upper part of balcony. Original timber doors with long vertical handles. Combed plasterwork also to tea room. The auditorium was altered in 1977 by the insertion of a flat floor to the front stalls, a false ceiling and the boxing-in and curtaining of the side-wall decoration, but much survives behind this. Proscenium survives, with above it a frieze in low relief depicting stylised, semi-abstract figures. Decorative plaster grilles to either side over side exits, that to right masking the organ chamber, with textured Marb-l-cote plasterwork to either side and extending along the side walls and in ceiling. The fluted wooden pilasters to either side of the grilles are missing, but their form can be seen below the false floor, where the exit steps also survive. High moulded ceiling. Some original seats, refigured, in balcony. Wide stage with flytower, fly floors and grid, with organ lift below stage, and some evidence of orchestra pit behind 1958 pit for Todd AO screen, of which fragments survive in the flytower. Beeston Boilers' `Britannia' ventilation system in chamber over entrance, and central vacuum cleaning system.

The Astoria, with 1,800 seats, was one of the largest super-cinemas built on the south coast and was the flagship of a chain of Astorias built in several seaside towns - it is also the principal survivor. Its decoration survives remarkably intact under later alterations, and includes in the proscenium frieze work of unusual quality. It is particularly unusual in its French art deco style, of which it is rare cinematic survivor. This style was adopted by Stone for his Whitehall Theatre, City of Westminster (grade II), and can be seen in other West-End theatres, notably the Cambridge; but this is a larger and more elaborate example intended to demonstrate that a south-coast ciné-variety hall could match the West End in sophistication.

Source: Architecture Illustrated, February 1934, pp.38-44

Listing NGR: TQ3136404601

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Architecture Illustrated' in February, (1934), 38-44

National Grid Reference: TQ 31364 04601

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 06:19:40.