List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1247171

Location

THE OLD HOUSE, 20, DOGPOLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityShrewsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 456439

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912SW DOGPOLE 653-1/15/274 (East side) 10/01/53 No.20 The Old House (Formerly Listed as: DOGPOLE (East side) No.20 Ye Old House)

GV II*

House. Plan late C15, facades largely renewed c1600, with alterations and additions of c1800 and c1900, and further extensive early C20 restoration. Timber-framed with brick additions and plain tiled roofs. Main range with 2 cross wings, the northern wing rebuilt c1800. EXTERIOR: main range timber-framed to street front. Close studding with brick nogging to ground floor, balustraded decoration above. 2 storeys with attics. Doorway to left in angle with north wing, with ornately carved Mannerist posts with strapwork decoration. 6-light mullioned and transomed window to right on each floor. Axial stack with star shaped clustered brick flues. Rear refronted c1800. Brick. 8-window range with outer doorways in moulded architraves, and 12-pane sash windows with flat-arched brick heads. South wing also timber-framed. Main frame in north-facing wall has cambered ties and bracing, with close studding which may be a later modification. Close studding to paired gables facing street, with mullioned windows and a canted bay in right hand gable. Axial side wall stack, partly stone. North wing rebuilt c1800. Brick. 2-storeyed, 2-window range, 12-pane sashes with flat-arched heads, and blind window over doorway to right. INTERIOR: entrance hall in main range: staircase has splat balusters and moulded rail, modified c1900 by addition or replacement of dado panelling, newels and overarch with pendant. Panelled room alongside stair hall, with oriel window in side elevation, and Neo-Jacobean fireplace. C17 panelling also in front room of south wing. Rooms in rear of main range largely as refurbished c1900, with panelling and fireplaces of that time. Traces of earlier layout survive upstairs, with moulded cross beamed ceiling and partial C17 panelling in rear of main range. Raking wall posts carry chamfered cross beams of ceiling in front section of south wing; C18 basket grate with Delft-tiled surround. Exposed framing in internal partition wall with jowelled corner post and arched braces. (Smith JT: Shrewsbury: Topography and Domestic Architecture to the Mid C17: Birmingham: 1953-).

Listing NGR: SJ4936712423

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Smith, J T, Shrewsbury Topography and Domestic Architecture to the Mid C17, (1953)

National Grid Reference: SJ 49367 12423

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 04:53:36.