List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRITANNIA HOTEL

List entry Number: 1246952

Location

BRITANNIA HOTEL, 35-47, PORTLAND STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 456047

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8498SW PORTLAND STREET 698-1/28/300 (South East side) 25/02/52 Nos.35 TO 47 (Odd) Britannia Hotel (Formerly Listed as: PORTLAND STREET (South East side) Nos.35 TO 47 (Odd) Britannia House)

GV II*

Formerly known as Watts Warehouse. General warehouse, the largest and most grandiose of all Manchester warehouses; now hotel. 1851-6, by Travis and Mangnall. Sandstone ashlar (roof not visible). Large rectangular plan parallel to street. Eclectic palazzo style. Five storeys with basement and roof pavilions, 23 bays, symmetrical; with granite base to massive chamfered plinth, channelled rustication to ground, 1st and 2nd floors, fluted corner pilasters to each upper floor, cornices over 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors (that over 3rd floor dentilled), and 4 large lateral rectangular pavilions symmetrically placed (at the ends and flanking a 7-bay centre). The openings are treated in a different style on each floor, and all the windows are recessed: those at ground floor round-headed with stepped voussoirs and keystones enriched alternately with herms and ship-prows, except for coupled doorways in the 7th and 8th, and 16th and 17th bays which have round-headed arches on coupled columns, mask keystones and internal steps; those at 1st floor square-headed, with balustrades and Elizabethan-style enrichment including carved swan-neck pediments with urn finials; those at 2nd floor square but with colonette-in-antis screens; those at 3rd floor taller and round-headed, with imposts and keystones; and those at 4th floor set in continuous colonnades of short square columns with carved caps. In addition, each pavilion has panelled pilasters, cornice, parapet (formerly with shaped gables) and 2 large Gothic wheel-windows. Seven-bay returned ends in matching style, the pavilions with wheel windows in 5 bays, strap-work in the outer bays, and balustraded parapets. Interior: internal porch of left-hand entrance contains fine war memorial of c.1920, with bronze sculptural group and inscribed tablet; entrance hall has spectacular open staircase of cast-iron with flying lateral flights at each floor in the form of a succession of "Ponte Rialtos".

Listing NGR: SJ8433698041

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 84336 98041

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 02:31:40.