List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PLATT HALL

List entry Number: 1246947

Location

PLATT HALL, PLATT FIELDS PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 456032

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89SE PLATT FIELDS PARK, Fallowfield 698-1/9/685 Platt Hall 25/02/52 (Formerly Listed as: WILMSLOW ROAD, Fallowfield Platt Hall)

GV II*

Large house, now museum. c.1764, perhaps by Thomas Lightoler (Pevsner), for John and Deborah Carill Worsley. Red brick in Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings and hipped slate roofs. Rectangular main block with links to east and west pavilions. Palladian style. Three storeys and 2:3:2 bays with single-storey 3-bay links to 2-storey 3-bay pavilions; symmetrical. The main block has a 3-bay pedimented centre breaking forwards slightly, stone plinth, string-course to ground floor and sill-band to 1st floor, stone modillioned cornice and blocking course; a tetrastyle Ionic porch in the centre (up 3 shallow steps, now with a ramp to the right) with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice, protecting a square-headed doorway with side-windows; 12-pane sashed windows at ground and 1st floors, and 9-pane sashes at 2nd floor, that in the centre at 1st floor with a pedimented architrave and that in the centre at 2nd floor with a shouldered architrave, and the others with flat-arched heads of gauged brick. Two chimneys to each side wall and another on the ridge. The links each have a pilastered round-headed arcade with imposts, a round-headed doorway in the centre with a panelled door and fanlight, and round-headed windows, all these with radiating glazing bars; the pavilions have similar arcaded windows at ground floor, a string course, and 9-pane sashes at 1st floor. Rear: the main block has low 6-pane sashes to ground floor, a round-headed blank arch in the centre containing a large Venetian stairwindow, and other windows like those at the front; east pavilion (former coach-house) has sandstone piers between the arches and 2 circular pitching holes above. Interior: fine elliptical imperial stone staircase with elaborate wrought-iron balustrade, and landing with Venetian screen composed of Corinthian columns in antis; pilasterd 1st-floor corridor with entablature, round-headed arches, pedimented doorway with moulded plaster tympanum, other doorways with decorated architraves, and all with octagonal panels; very fine 1st-floor dining room with Rococo stucco panels to the walls, moulded plaster conice, etc.

Listing NGR: SJ8533594879

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)

National Grid Reference: SJ 85335 94879

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 07:32:32.