List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1246944

Location

107, PICCADILLY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 456027

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8498SE PICCADILLY 698-1/29/293 (North East side) 03/10/74 No.107

GV II

Cotton manufacturers' showroom and warehouse, now part amusement shop, part showroom. Dated 1899 in gable of right-hand return wall; by Charles Heathcote, probably for Horrocks Crewdson & Co; altered. Iron frame and concrete floors with cladding of red sandstone and red brick, roofs of slate and glass. Rectangular block (linked by gang bridge to rectangular rear block on Lena Street, qv.). Jacobean-baroque style. Basement, 5 storeys and attic, 5 bays; very elaborate design including banded ground floor, string-courses to the upper floors, 3-bay Ionic colonnaded centre at 3rd and 4th floors surmounted by a tall decorated gable and flanked by extruded turrets, and a corbelled corner turret to the right. The 1st bay has a wide round-headed entrance arch with run-out banded surround and ornamented wrought-iron gates, and above this a stepped transomed window with swan-neck pediment and aedicule above lettered "Founded 1848"; otherwise, the ground floor has altered openings, the 1st and 3rd floors have various semicircular and transomed windows, the 2nd and 4th have mullioned windows (those at top floor with blocked mullions); the corner turret rises from a corbel with finely-carved bracket including 2 children displaying a shield; and all the turrets have domed caps. The right-hand return wall (to Lena Street), a 5-window facade, has (inter alia) sloped basement windows protected by Art Nouveau railings, a 4-bay Ionic pilastrade at 3rd and 4th floors and shaped gable dated 1899. Rear has (inter alia) a rebuilt gang-bridge at 1st to 4th floors linking with Lena Street warehouse block. INTERIOR: porch and entrance hall with decorated glazed tiled pilasters and arcades; staircase with wrought-iron Art Nouveau balusters to 2nd floor and wooden Jacobean style balusters above; 1st-floor showroom with decorated tiled pillars, moulded pilaster beams and dentilled cornices; ladies' room with Art Nouveau stained glass windows; on upper floors, cast-iron columns and wrought-iron beams, white glazed tiled walls and built-counters below all windows; light steel roof trusses with tension rods, large skylights. Fine example of the type, but unoccupied above 1st floor at time of survey.

Listing NGR: SJ8463398145

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 84633 98145

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 10:53:34.