List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MEMORIAL BAPTIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1246354

Location

MEMORIAL BAPTIST CHURCH, BARKING ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityNewhamLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Apr-2000

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 487167

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



TQ 48 SW BARKING ROAD 251/4/10051 Plaistow 03-APR-00 Memorial Baptist Church

II



Baptist Church. 1921-2 by William Hayne. Gault brick with red brick east front with stone and marble dressings and details; slate roofs. Byzantine style. PLAN: open basilican plan with aisles and apse; liturgical east and west reversed. EXTERIOR: east front with 5-stage square-section corner towers right and left. Each tower with polygonal angles rising to polygonal turrets framing octagonal drum and dome. Entrances to towers with round-arched marble door surrounds with square heads, each with a rectangular light in soffit. Round-headed window in second stage; banding between stages. Round-headed window in fourth stage below blind arcading and the drum of the dome with square pierced panel. 3-bay, 3-stage centrepiece consists of gabled centre with a wide arched marble door surround: triple order, with bulbous columns terminating in Byzantine capitals. Doorway architrave on twin central columns. Wide radially-glazed arched overlight. Doors replaced with plate glass. 3 arched windows to second stage flanked by single windows in bays right and left. Gabled head with 5-light Diocletian window. Polygonal turrets right and left. Side bays with pierced square panels to parapet. 2-storey north and south returns lit through segmental windows to ground floor and arched first-floor windows. Elevations punctuated by polygonal red-brick turrets and stock-brick pilasters. North return with square-headed doorway. INTERIOR: sanctuary with deeply coffered ceiling, of geometrical pattern ribbing radiating from central oculus and with principal octagonal framing. Projector opening to west. Aisles closed 1977 with solid walls underbuilding original 3-sided gallery, creating meeting room at east end, with kitchen to the south. Panelled gallery balustrade remains. Western apse with wide semi-circular arch towards sanctuary. Total-immersion font under floor. Apse walls with open arched arcading at upper level standing on panelled solid balustrade and with rear wall pierced by 2 transomed windows. 3-sided timber pulpit to north of apse, with panelling and vitruvian scroll decoration. Organ case opposite, of 1924 by Spurden Rutt & Co. Ltd. Of Leyton.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 40504 82410

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 04:43:00.