List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1246275

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, OLD MARKET STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 454825

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

698-1/3/548 OLD MARKET STREET 20-JUN-88 BLACKLEY (North side) CHURCH OF ST PETER

II*



Church. 1844, by E.H.Shellard. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Six-bay aisled nave embracing west tower, 4-bay chancel with north vestry and south chapel. Early English style. The 4-stage tower has set-back half-height buttresses continued as corner pilasters, octagonal corners to the belfry stage and a plain parapet; a 2-centred arched west doorway with shafts and roll-moulding, a 3-light west window, an oculus in a crocketed diamond surround, a clock face, and coupled louvred belfry windows moulded in 2 orders, with shafts. The west ends of the aisles have tall lancets with shafts, and corner pinnacles; the south aisle is buttressed and has coupled lancets in similar style, and a double-chamfered doorway in the 1st bay, with shafts and a steep gable; the north aisle is much plainer, having plain chamfered lancets. The chancel has a large 5-light east window with bar tracery and coupled lancets to the sides. INTERIOR: chancel has carved stone reredos of 1887 with marble shafts. Carved communion rail. Choir stalls with shafted Early English blind arcading to front. Encaustic tile floor of 1867. Stained glass to east window of 1869 and probably by Lavers and Barraud. Panelled roof with arched braces supported on corbels. Nave has arcades with quatrefoil piers and open truss roof with hammerbeams and curved braces. Galleries on 3 sides, with shafted Early English blind arcading to the front; complete set of box pews in the galleries with some open benches to the west end. Complete set of Gothick box pews in the nave and aisles with poppyhead shaped ends and higher churchwardens' pews to the west end; arcaded Early English style pulpit and font; some C19 heraldic and patterned stained glass to the lower part of the aisle windows. On the west wall are a large Royal Arms and a collection of C18 and early C19 memorials from the earlier church on the site. History: Commissioners' church, cost î3,162 (Pevsner). This church is particularly impressive for its complete C19 interior with the extremely unusual survival of all the fine box and other pews.



Listing NGR: SD8564502998

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)

National Grid Reference: SD 85645 02998

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 12:58:20.