List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BLACKFRIARS CHURCH AND PART OF EAST RANGE OF FRIARY

List entry Number: 1245989

Location

BLACKFRIARS CHURCH AND PART OF EAST RANGE OF FRIARY, BLACKFRIARS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireGloucesterDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Dec-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 472092

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GLOUCESTER

SO8218SE BLACKFRIARS 844-1/11/12 (South side) 23/01/52 Blackfriars Church and Part of East Range of Friary (Formerly Listed as: BLACKFRIARS (South side) Bell's Place, Friar's Lodge, Mr Washbourn's House)

GV I

Formerly known as: Nos.7, 9 AND 11 BLACKFRIARS. Substantial remains of the church and adjoining east claustral range of the Dominican friary (Blackfriars) founded 1239 by Sir Stephen de Hermshall (Harnhill) and largely built with funds and materials donated by King Henry III; consecrated 1284; late C14 alterations principally to church. After dissolution of the friary the church reduced in size and remodelled in conversion to house, and the claustral buildings converted as a cloth manufactory, for Sir Thomas Bell, a merchant cloth maker and draper; various alterations in C18, C19 and C20 for multiple domestic and commercial uses; from c1960 an Ancient Monument in the care of the Ministry of Works and successor government departments with the implementation of a programme of conservation continued since 1964 by English Heritage for public display and use of the building. Friary buildings of stone rubble with dressed stone features, added structure in ashlar for conversion to house, roofs relaid c1970 in plain tile, with stone slate verges to the roofs of the former church. PLAN: originally a cruciform church comprising a long chancel, crossing with north and south transepts, and an aisled nave. In C16 conversion to house the former chancel and nave were truncated and closed by gable-end walls with central projecting chimney-stacks; the north nave aisle completely and the south aisle partially demolished, and the nave arcades infilled and partly refaced; a large canted bay window added at the west end of the north wall; the former chancel remodelled with new fenestration to form the great hall, and floors and partitions inserted into the former transepts and nave to form chambers; the south transept subsequently demolished. In mid C20, following the removal of internal post-medieval features, the south side of the former crossing was closed by a glazed, steel frame screen, c1970. The north end of the east claustral range abuts the south wall of the



chancel on the east side of the south transept. The southern end of the east range, including the former chapter house, is demolished. EXTERIOR: the north side of the church remodelled 1540-45 as the main front of the house and altered in late C18 when the house was divided into two dwellings; two storeys and attic with a central projecting wing (the former north transept of the church); to left of the wing two large four-light mullioned windows inserted to light the great hall (the former chancel). The gable-end of the central wing has corner buttresses set back from canted angles; the infill in the former C14 large gable-end window is pierced for late C18 sashes, three sashes to each of the former two floors and one lighting the former attic, all of similar size and framed in mahogany with glazing bars (3x4 panes) and a trefoiled head to each pane, the window openings now blocked internally; in the north wall of the wing a reset C14 three-light window with restored tracery. INTERIOR: since 1960 all post medieval floors and partitions removed to expose the proportions of the church and surviving medieval features. These include portions of the moulded C14 crossing piers, C14 flying arches in the west wall of the north transept, and in the east bay of the north arcade of the nave an arch inserted to support the north-west pier of the crossing when the former central tower was rebuilt; remains of C13 piers in the nave are largely concealed by C16 infill; in the chancel evidence of C13 arcading originally framing lancet windows above a continuous string course on the north wall and on part of the south wall. The C16 walls blocking the truncated ends of the former nave and chancel retain moulded chimney pieces at the former ground and first-floor levels of the house, on either side on each floor, mullioned windows with arched heads to the lights. Above the nave and chancel is a remarkable surviving example of an open timber roof with C13, close-set scissor trusses. The north end of the east range has doors and windows of various dates and C13 timber scissor trusses in the open roof. Scheduled Ancient Monument in guardianship since 1960. (BOE: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean: London: 1976-: 226-227; VCH: The City of Gloucester: Oxford: 1988-: 290-291).







Listing NGR: SO8297518428

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1988), 290-291
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970), 226-227

National Grid Reference: SO 82975 18427

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 02:26:06.