List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CITY MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY

List entry Number: 1245964

Location

CITY MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY, BRUNSWICK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireGloucesterDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 472106

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GLOUCESTER

SO8318SW BRUNSWICK ROAD 844-1/12/25 (West side) 12/03/73 City Museum and Art Gallery

II

Museum and art gallery. 1898. By FS Waller for Margaret Hall as a memorial to her husband William Edwin Price; extended to the rear by the same architect. Coursed, rock-faced rubble with ashlar features and details, red plain tile roof surmounted by a timber cupola with a copper dome. Designed in an eclectic early Renaissance style inspired by the work of TG Jackson. A large, rectangular, block with entrance hall wing at south end. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and cellars; on the main block the ground floor has no fenestration and forms a tall podium to the upper floor; the front of the main block is symmetrical, with five bays defined by piers at ground-floor level and pilasters at first-floor level, with wider clasping piers and pilasters at each corner Above the central bay an ashlar fronted dormer, an octagonal cupola above the parapet at the outer corners, and a larger, central cupola on the roof ridge; on the ground floor a tall rock faced plinth with two offsets both capped by a chamfered ashlar course; below the first-floor sill level a corniced ashlar band incorporating an apron panel below the large three-light ashlar framed and mullioned leaded window in the central bay and the similar two-light windows in the other bays, all the windows have central transoms and semicircular arched heads with key stones to the upper lights; above is a crowning, ashlar entablature which breaks forward slightly over each window with a carved panel in the frieze; above the cornice of each projection an anthemion with flanking scrolls carved in relief against the parapet except for the central bay which has a blank heraldic shield with dragon crest in relief against the front of the dormer under an arched canopy. On the left side of the main block the lower, slightly recessed bay with an elaborate, applied frontispiece in two stages; the rusticated lower stage is crowned by the continuation of the corniced band on the main block to each side of the entrance doorway which is framed by pilasters with moulded corbels supporting a shell hood with a scalloped edge; the hood projects in front of the central panel on the upper stage, the panel is framed by pilasters and entablature with a swan-neck pediment above and parapets on each side supporting scrolls against the sides of the panel; the wide double



doorway has rusticated jambs and a cambered arched head with a projecting keystone. INTERIOR: original features include joinery and staircase. Original staircase of 1898. The most important internal feature of 1892-3 is the main ceiling at eaves level, coved and offered with three sun-burner centrepieces. The interior also includes part of the scheduled Roman colonia wall. Main staircase of 1957 by RD Fitzsimmons, when first floor built. HISTORY: originally the Price Memorial Hall built as a lecture hall for the Gloucester Science and Art Society, 1892-3. In 1902 adapted for use as a museum and art gallery for the Corporation of the City of Gloucester. (BOE: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean: London: 1976-: 240; VCH: The City of Gloucester: Oxford: 1988-).









Listing NGR: SO8324718334

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1988)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970), 240

National Grid Reference: SO 83247 18334

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:35:00.