List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE DANISH CHURCH

List entry Number: 1245872

Location

THE DANISH CHURCH, ST KATHERINES PRECINCT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477947

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2883SE ST KATHARINE'S PRECINCT 798-1/82/1517 (East side) 10/06/54 The Danish Church (Formerly Listed as: ST KATHARINE'S PRECINCT The Danish Church, No.4 (The Pastor's House), No.5 (St Katharine's Hall))

GV II*

St Katharine's College Chapel, now the Danish Lutheran Church in London. 1826-1828. By Ambrose Poynter. For the Royal Hospital of St Katharine. Restored 1969. Grey brick with stone dressings; west end with stone facing. Tall, collegiate type chapel in Perpendicular style of 7 bays. Attached to and flanking the church, No.4 The Pastor's House and No.5 St Katharine's Hall (qv). EXTERIOR: west end gabled with octagonal corner turrets having arrow slit windows, enriched above the roof line and terminating in spires. Pointed arch doorway with wooden door and square-headed label with enriched spandrels and stops. Above this, a tall 7-light traceried window. A hexagonal clock surmounted by a crown and flanked by coats of arms in the apex of the facade. North and south facades with a high, tall 3-light traceried window to each bay, above which the cornice and blocking course. East end with similar traceried window to west end. INTERIOR: simple and whitewashed, with two figures of Moses and John the Baptist late C17 by Caius Cibber brought from the former Danish Seamen's Mission in Commercial Road E14; former church fittings and monuments dispersed c1950 between the Tower of London and St Katharine's Foundation, Butcher Row E14. HISTORICAL NOTE: St Katharine's College Chapel was built to replace a chapel forming part of the religious hospice, founded in 1148 by Queen Matilda and later known as the Hospital of St Katharine, on a site next to the Tower of London; in 1825 the original site was made into St Katharine's Dock. The patronage of the chapel had always rested with the Queen of England; Queen Alexandra, Danish wife of King Edward VII, granted it to the Danish community in London. (Survey of London: Vol. XIX, Old St Pancras and Kentish Town, St Pancras II: London: -1938: 101-115).





Listing NGR: TQ2864783281

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Old St Pancras and Kentish Town The Parish of St Pancras Part 2: Volume 19 - Date: 1938 - Journal Title: Survey of London - Page References: 101-115

National Grid Reference: TQ 28647 83280

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 01:17:44.