List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GREYFRIARS HOUSE AND ATTACHED REMAINS OF GREYFRIARS CHURCH

List entry Number: 1245826

Location

GREYFRIARS HOUSE AND ATTACHED REMAINS OF GREYFRIARS CHURCH, GREYFRIARS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireGloucesterDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Dec-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 472219

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GLOUCESTER

SO8318SW GREYFRIARS 844-1/12/131 (South side) 23/01/52 Greyfriars House and attached remains of Greyfriars Church (Formerly Listed as: GERYFRIARS Greyfriars House and attached remains of Franciscan Church with medieval wall)

GV I

Town house and the adjoining remains of the nave and north aisle of the church of the former Franciscan Friary, now library. The friary founded c1231, the church rebuilt c1518 in Perpendicular Gothic style with funds provided by the patron, Maurice Berkeley, Lord Berkeley. After the Dissolution in 1538 the buildings of the friary adapted to various uses, in 1643 they were severely damaged in the siege of the city by Royalist forces and by 1721 only the nave and its north aisle survived, later in the C18 houses were built within the walls; in c1810 a substantial house in a classical style built into the west end of the medieval remains for Philo Maddy, currier; in the 1960s the remains of the church to the east of the house cleared of later structures and the masonry consolidated by the Ancient Monuments Branch of the former Ministry of Public Building and Works, and the house converted for use as a public library for Gloucestershire County Council. REMAINS OF THE CHURCH: ashlar and rubble. PLAN: remains of church comprise nave and slightly narrower north aisle originally of seven bays; the house occupies the site of the two western bays with remains of the south wall of the nave and the north wall of the north aisle incorporated into its side walls. EXTERIOR: the south wall of the nave and north wall of the north aisle are similar and survive to full height, externally the bays are defined by buttresses with three weathered offsets; the tall arcade between the nave and aisle, which has moulded lozenge-plan piers with moulded bases, capitals and arches, is partially infilled by later rubble blockings; in each bay of the outer walls, the nave and north aisle are the remains of a large four-light arched window and at the east end of the north aisle the remains of a six-light window; some windows retain portions of perpendicular tracery partly preserved by later infilling; at the bottom of each window the lights are infilled with panels each carved with an escutcheon



in high relief; the wall faces between the windows are decorated with blind panelling; at east end of nave moulded piers support a transverse arch at the former crossing; on the south side of the nave evidence of the former north walk of the cloister abutting the eastern six bays. Reset in the outer face of the nave south wall two stone shields carved with the arms of Chandos and Clifford of Frampton, possibly from a former funerary monument. GREYFRIARS HOUSE: ashlar, slate roof. PLAN: double-depth block. EXTERIOR: three storeys and cellar. Symmetrical entrance front, facing west, of five bays with a slight projection to the three central bays, offset plinth, a plain raised band at first-floor sill level, crowning entablature with modillion cornice, a modillion pediment above the three central projecting bays and parapets above the outer bays; the central bay is slightly recessed on the upper floors above the first-floor sill band and in the tympanum of the pediment the recess has a cambered arched head; on the ground floor in the central bay a projecting, single storey entrance porch in Roman Doric order with columns at the outer corners supporting entablature and pediment, in each bay to either side sashes with glazing bars (3x4 panes); on the first floor five sashes with similar glazing and on the third floor short sashes with glazing bars (3x2 panes), all in openings with projecting stone sills; in the side walls similar sashes with glazing on bars on each floor. INTERIOR: largely refitted in C20. Scheduled Ancient Monument.







Listing NGR: SO8313918372

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 83141 18352

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2014 at 02:56:43.