List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE THE MARTYR

List entry Number: 1245485

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE THE MARTYR, QUEEN SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477826

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ3081NW QUEEN SQUARE 798-1/100/1365 (West side) 24/10/51 Church of St George the Martyr

GV II*

Church. c1706. Built by Arthur Tooley, repaired late C18. Recast 1867-9 by SS Teulon and restored 1952 and 1989. Stucco with rusticated lower portion. Single storey, rectangular plan with chancel to the south added by Teulon who almost entirely altered the exterior. EXTERIOR: Queen Square facade with Gothic porch to right of pedimented central projecting bay with 3 buttresses, the central buttress forming a column between two architraved, round-headed windows and an architraved oculus above. Buttresses surmounted by statues of praying angels. Beneath the windows 4 roundels containing carved reliefs of the symbols of the 4 Evangelists. To either side of this bay, 3 rounded-arched, traceried windows. Entablature and projecting cornice. Cosmo Place return pedimented with central round-arched entrance and 4 windows. Over west end, small square-plan tower with Gothic canopies (east face shielding a clock), and surmounted by zinc covered spirelet with louvred gablets. INTERIOR: also remodelled, the present column and roof system being inserted by Teulon who took down all the galleries save that to the north which he retained and remodelled. Fittings: the fine original reredos was retained on the east wall when Teulon reordered the church with a new south chancel with full fittings including a reredos with mosaic inlay. Stalls, pulpit, lectern, parclose screen and altar rails also by Teulon; other fittings include font, organ and case. HISTORICAL NOTE: St George the Martyr was built as a chapel of ease for St Andrew's, Holborn, and became a parish church in 1723.





Listing NGR: TQ3036281901

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 30362 81901

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 04:22:46.