List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1245198

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHAPEL STILE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaSouth LakelandDistrict AuthorityLakes

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 452108

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



1945/7/94 CHAPEL STILE 12-JAN-67 LANGDALE CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

II Parish church of 1857 by J. A. Cory.

MATERIALS: Snecked local slate-stone rubble, light-brown freestone dressings, roughcast west front, graded-slate roof.

PLAN: Nave with long north aisle incorporating a vestry, south tower/porch, and lower chancel.

EXTERIOR: The church is mainly in Decorated style with an asymmetrical accent provided by the stout 3-stage south tower, incorporating the porch in its lower stage. It is unbuttressed and the upper stages are progressively narrower, beneath an embattled crown. The porch has a south doorway with continuous double chamfer, and cusped west window. In the second stage are small narrow windows and the upper stage has 2-light shoulder-headed openings with louvres. The nave west front has two 2-light windows and deep angle buttresses. South windows are square-headed with ogee-headed lights, comprising one 2-light window left of the tower and two 3-light windows to its right. The chancel south wall has a simpler 2-light window with cusped lights and without tracery, and the east window is 3-light Decorated. The north aisle, incorporating the vestry, is shorter than the nave and chancel and faces a steep bank. Its windows are similar to the chancel south window. It has only a 2-light west window, a 1-light vestry window on the north side and, in the east wall, a vestry 3-light window and doorway in a freestone surround. INTERIOR: Four-bay arcades have octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. The nave has a 5-bay arched-brace roof on corbels, and the chancel has a similar but keeled 3-bay roof. The chancel arch is double chamfered, of which the inner order is on corbels. Walls are plastered. There are raised floorboards below pews.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Furnishings are generally undistinguished, of mid and late C19. The octagonal font is plain, the benches and choir stalls have shaped ends and the pulpit is octagonal with Gothic panelling. The communion rail incorporates a quatrefoil frieze and the reredos has Gothic panelling. There are several late C19 and early C20 windows, of which the Ascension window in the nave is signed by A.L. Moore (1910). There is a Boer War memorial brass plaque.

HISTORY: Parish church of 1857 by John A. Cory (1819-87), architect with offices in Carlisle and Durham, who built several churches in the north of England from the 1840s. He was County Surveyor of Cumberland 1862-68 before entering into partnership with C.J. Ferguson.

SOURCES: N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland, 1967, p 249.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of the Holy Trinity, Chapel Stile, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Holy Trinity is a modest C19 church but an essay in picturesque simplicity with its asymmetrical plan and stout tower. * The building showcases traditional local materials, complementing other such C19 buildings in the village. * The church is a landmark building on the hillside above the village and makes an important contribution to its historic character.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 32093 05499

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 12:29:15.