List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 12-27 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1244546

Location

NUMBERS 12-27 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 12-27, BEDFORD SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 476699

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2981NE BEDFORD SQUARE 798-1/99/77 (North side) 24/10/51 Nos.12-27 (Consecutive) and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: BEDFORD SQUARE Nos.1-54 (Consecutive))

GV I

Symmetrical terrace of 16 houses forming the north side of a square. 1776-1781. Mostly built by W Scott and R Grews; probably designed by either Thomas Leverton or Robert Palmer; for the Bedford Estate. Yellow stock brick with evidence on most of the houses of tuck pointing. Plain stucco band at 1st floor level. The 2 centre houses, Nos 18 & 19, are stuccoed. Slate mansard roofs with dormers and tall slab chimney-stacks. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attics and basements. 3 windows each. Recessed round-arched entrances with Coade stone vermiculated intermittent voussoirs and bands; mask keystones. Enriched impost bands and cornice-heads to doors. Side lights to panelled doors, some 2-leaf. Fanlights, mostly radial patterned. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sashes, most with glazing bars. The following have blind boxes: Nos 16-19, No.20 to 1st floor only, Nos 21 and 25. The following have cast-iron balconies to 1st floor windows: Nos 12-15, 18-21, 23-25. No.12 has a good early C19 cast-iron balcony with round-arched trellis and tented canopy. Cornice and parapets, Nos 12 & 27 having balustraded parapets. INTERIORS not inspected but noted to contain original stone stairs with cast and wrought-iron balusters of various scroll designs, decoration and features; special features as mentioned: No.12: 5 window return to Gower Street, some blind, plus single storey extension. The doorway is stucco, not Coade stone. No.13: Leverton's own house, occupied in 1782 but he did not settle here until 1795. Stucco doorway, not Coade stone. Rear elevation with canted bay to lower 3 floors and cast-iron balconies. INTERIOR: stair replaced by a timber version late C19. 2 fine plaster ceilings. No.14: rear elevation with full height canted bay. Plasterwork friezes and ceilings. Some curved doors. No.17: plaster ceiling. Nos 18 & 19: rusticated ground floor; 5 Ionic pilasters rise through the 1st and 2nd storeys to support a frieze with



roundels above each pilaster, and pediment with delicate swag and roundel enrichment on the tympanum. At 2nd floor level a continuous enriched band running behind the pilasters. INTERIORS with curved staircases; No.18 with original cellar including a storage cupboard. Attached to and facing the rear of No.19, a finely proportioned contemporary 2 storey and basement stuccoed building. 3 windows. Round-arched ground floor openings; windows set in architraved Coade stone surrounds with guilloche impost bands and female head keystones. 1st floor palm leaf string course. A rare survival of this kind of building attached to the rear wall of the coach-houses. No.21: screens and a plaster ceiling. Attached to and facing the rear, a well detailed contemporary 2 storey brick building. 3 windows. Arcaded ground floor with stucco impost bands. Entrance with radial patterned fanlight. Gauged brick flat arches to all sashes. Brick mutule cornice which continues around the pediment containing a blind oeil-de-boeuf. A rare urban survival of an ancillary building of the period. No.23: panelled doors and a plaster ceiling. No.24: rear elevation with canted bay to lower 3 floors. Plaster ceilings and panels. No.25: rear elevation with full height bow and full height half-canted closet. Wood carving and plaster ceilings, one originally with painted panels. No.26: plasterwork and closet room behind the stairs. No.27: original basement door with interesting metalwork. Some houses with original lead rainwater heads and pipes. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas with urn or torch-flambe finials. No.17 with a wrought-iron lamp bracket and snuffer. Most houses with good wrought-iron foot scrapers. HISTORICAL NOTE: the houses in Bedford Square form a most important and complete example of C18 town planning. Built as a speculation, it is not clear who designed all the houses. Leverton was a country house architect and may have been involved with only the grander houses; he lived at No.13. Palmer was the Bedford Estate surveyor and may be responsible for the vagaries of the square. The majority of the plots leased by the estate were taken by Robert Grews, a carpenter, and William Scott, a brickmaker. No.22 was the residence of Sir J Forbes Robertson, actor (plaque). (Byrne A: Bedford Square, An architectural study: London: -1990).



Listing NGR: TQ2979181708

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Byrne, A, Bedford Square An Architectural Study, (1990)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29791 81708

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 02:25:56.