List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 5, 5A AND 6 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND LAMP HOLDER

List entry Number: 1244506

Location

NUMBERS 5, 5A AND 6 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND LAMP HOLDER, 5, 5A AND 6, BLOOMSBURY SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 476726

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ3081NW BLOOMSBURY SQUARE 798-1/100/100 (West side) 24/10/51 Nos.5, 5A AND 6 and attached railings and lamp-holder (Formerly Listed as: BLOOMSBURY SQUARE Nos.5 AND 6)

GV II*

Two houses, now in three units: No.6 facing Bloomsbury Square, Nos 5 and 5A main facade on Bloomsbury Way with return to Bloomsbury Square. 1744. By Henry Flitcroft. Possibly built by JI Devall. Darkened multi-coloured stock brick. Stone bracketed cornice below brick parapet and stone band at 1st floor level. Tiled roof with dormers. 3 storeys, attic and basement. Nos 5 and 5a: symmetrical facade in Bloomsbury Way with No.23 Bloomsbury Way (qv). 7 windows (right hand two blind), 3-window return to Bloomsbury Square. Pedimented centre bay slightly projecting with round arched entrance doorway with stone archivolt and band at springing, patterned fanlight and panelled door. To either side of door, sashes with keystone blocks. Above, at first floor level, round-headed sash flanked by 2 narrow square-headed sashes, all with stone sill band. 2nd floor with Diocletian type window. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sash windows with stucco archivolts, some with original glazing bars. Right hand wing blind apart from left hand 2nd floor window. Lead rainwater heads and pipes. INTERIOR: some original panelled rooms and fireplaces; stone staircase with balustrade restored to original design. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn finials to areas. No.6: 3 windows. Stone architraved doorcase with console bracketed cornice, wood pilaster-jambs to door frame, fanlight and panelled, part glazed, door. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sash windows with stucco archivolts, some with original glazing bars. INTERIOR: noted to contain some original panelling and features. Staircase altered early C20. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas with urn finials and overthrow lamp-holder. HISTORICAL NOTE: No.6 was home, in his youth of Isaac Disraeli, father of Benjamin Disraeli (GLC plaque).





Listing NGR: TQ3032181591

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 30323 81600

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 11:31:51.