List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 3 AIRCRAFT HANGARS TO FORMER SUNDRIDGE AERODROME AT COOMBE BANK FARM

List entry Number: 1244242

Location

3 AIRCRAFT HANGARS TO FORMER SUNDRIDGE AERODROME AT COOMBE BANK FARM, CHEVENING ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentSevenoaksDistrict AuthoritySundridge with Ide Hill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Apr-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 449124

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 4855 SUNDRIDGE CHEVENING ROAD

32/2002 3 Aircraft Hangars to former Sundridge Aerodrome at Coombe Bank Farm

- II

Aircraft hangars, in use for sheep raising at time of survey. c.1910. Built for manufacturing aeroplanes by Polish Prince de Bolotoff who built aeroplanes there before the 1914-18 war. Timber framed, the roofs and walls covered in corrugated iron sheeting, 3 gabled and open fronted hangars. Roofs are of kingpost type construction with 5 posts to each gable held by iron clamps. Each hangar is of 6 bays with square upright posts on padstones. Wall frame has diagonal tension braces to rear and continuous window. Adjoining to the south is a concrete structure of 2 bays wide and 9 bays long, not of special interest, probably added c.1927 when the complex became a garage for West Kent Motor Services. During the Second World War the hangars were used as an RAF recovery unit for crashed aircraft. Included because pre 1914-18 aircraft hangars are very rare, probably only about 15 surviving nationwide. (See Sevenoaks Chronicle article of 1 May 1982).

Listing NGR: TQ4849655819

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 1 May - Date: 1982 - Journal Title: Sevenoaks Chronicle

National Grid Reference: TQ 48486 55803

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 04:12:52.