List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD LANE MILL RAWSON'S MILL

List entry Number: 1244144

Location

OLD LANE MILL, OLD LANE
RAWSON'S MILL, OLD LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Apr-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 447661

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLD LANE SE 0826 SE 679-/10/10059 (West side) Old one Mill, or Rawson's Mill GV 11* Worsted mill. 1825-28. Built for James Ackroyd, and acquired by the Rawson family in 1836. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings and corrugated asbestos roof 6 storeys plus attic. L-plan. 15 by 5 windows, with projecting 4 window wing to right. Classical style. South front has to left a tall, segment headed, engine house window, with rusticated ashlar surround. To the right 9 windows on 3 floors, and above 11 windows on 3 further floors. Projecting office and stair wing to right, with a large loading entrance with rusticated ashlar surround, flanked by single blocked windows, above 4 windows to each of the 5 floors. This wing is topped by a plain pediment with a circular clock face. East front 5 windows, plus 2 windows. To the left 2 windows to each floor, to the right the 5 window gabled front has a central row of 7 loading doors, with 2 windows on eitherside, apart from the top floor in the gable which has single flanking windows. North front has 7 windows eitherside of the central projecting, canted latrine tower. Interior: has iron "fire proof' construction. 2 rows of circular iron columns support cast iron beams of parabolic web, parallel flange inverted "T" section design. These support shallow brick arches and stone flagged floors. The roof has 14 cast iron, arched trusses. Each truss is made up of 4 sections bolted together, and they support cast iron purlins and cast iron common rafters which are racked to support original wooden laths. The engine house occupies the full width of the mill, at the west end, with panelled reveal to the window and a decorative plaster ceiling. A large semi-circular recess once housed the large flywheel. This building is listed because it is the oldest and largest surviving example of a multi-storey, steam-powered, iron-framed textile mill in the important textile centre of Halifax, it is probably also the best preserved example for its date in Yorkshire.

Listing NGR: SE0861726341

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 08617 26341

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 09:45:46.