List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1243797

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NottinghamshireRushcliffeDistrict AuthorityHawksworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1965

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 448128

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAWKSWORTH MAIN STREET SK 74 SE (south east side) 5/102 Church of St. Mary and All Saints 1.12.65

G.V. II*

Parish church. Tower C13 and late C17. Nave rebuilt 1812. North aisle 1837. Chancel rebuilt 1851 by Rev. G. H. Smyttan. Coursed and squared rubble and brick, dressed stone. Ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, chancel, combined vestry and organ chamber. West tower. 2 stages. Coursed rubble, ashlar and brick. Chamfered eaves band and crenellated parapet. To west, 2 pairs corner buttresses, 4 setoffs. To east, 2 buttresses, 6 setoffs. First stage has to south, a chamfered lancet. To west, restored C13 door with filleted shafts and roll moulding, round bases and capitals and hood mould. Second stage has to south, re-set Cll tympanum showing Adoration of the Cross, with inscription "Gauterus et uxor eius Cecilina fecerunt facere ecclesiam istam in (h)onore ori uri et sce. Marie Virginis et omnium scorum dei simul." Above, chamfered and rebated C17 bell opening and clock, 1873. North side has similar opening and clock. West side has chamfered double lancet with Y tracery. Above, east and west sides have each a double lancet bell opening. Nave, 2 bays, has moulded coped parapet and east gable. To south, 3 re-set C14 gargoyles. South side has 2 lancets with Y tracery. North aisle, 3 bays, has textured quoins, moulded eaves band and coped parapet. West end has chamfered lancet with hood mould and stops. North side has 2 double lancets with Y tracery and Tudor arched reveals, and to right, door with similar head. All have hood moulds and mask stops. Chancel, 2 bays, has chamfered plinth and coped east gable with kneelers and cross. East end has 2 pairs of corner buttresses, single setoff, and sill band. C14 style triple lancet with Decorated tracery, hood mould and mask stops. South side has partial sill band with mask stop. Off-centre pointed priest's door with head inscribed '1851'. To left, single lancet and to right, similar triple lancet, both with trefoil heads. Lean-to vestry and organ chamber, single bay, has a coped gable. North side has a C13 style doorway. East end has re-set restored C13 chamfered lancet with hood mould. Tower chamber forming west porch has west window with C19 patterned stained glass. North wall has 6 bay C19 arcaded panel with clustered shafts, inscribed with the Beatitudes. Tower arch, C13, restored, has cove moulding and rectangular responds. Chamfered capitals with rebated corners. Nave north arcade, 3 bays, has 2 round piers with matching responds, with octagonal plinths and moulded bases. C19 Romanesque style capitals with waterleaf, cable moulding and strapwork. Arches, C13, restored, double chamfered and rebated, have hood moulds with nailhead and mask stops. South side east window has patterned stained glass. Roof, C15, restored, with chamfered timbers. 7 wooden corbels, some with moulded ends. Double ridge piece to west, single to east. North aisle has lean-to roof restored C20. Chancel arch, C13, restored, has double chamfer and rebate. Matching responds with simply moulded capitals and bases. Chancel has chamfered and moulded openings with painted decoration and texts around heads. North side has to west, Tudor arched opening to organ chamber and to its right, door and double aumbry with roll moulding and trefoil heads. East end has inscribed marble curb on windowsill and window with stained glass by Wailes, 1851. South side has to east, chamfered trefoil headed piscina and to west, doorway flanked by single lancets with C19 patterned stained glass. Arch-braced principal rafter roof with collars. Moulded corbels and wall plate have painted texts. Fittings include font, C14 with octagonal stem and water holding base and C19 octagonal bowl with dogtooth band. Mid C19 brass lectern. Late C19 traceried panelled stalls and desks with shaped ends and arm rests. Linked chairs. C19 poor box on C12 chamfered and moulded wooden stem. Moulded altar rail on foliate iron stems. 12 foliate iron wall sconces, 2 mid C19 brass and sheet metal chandeliers, 2 foliate candle brackets. Memorials include large section of Anglo-Saxon cross shaft with incised decoration. C19 painted stone tablets with Creed and Lord's Prayer. 3 marble tablets, early C19. Small brass, probably C18. Marble war memorial tablet c.1920. Memorial inscriptions on chancel walls, 1700, 1878, 1906.

Listing NGR: SK7528343457

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 75283 43457

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 04:03:43.