List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET

List entry Number: 1242740

Location

CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 443633

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 28 NW HOYLAKE CHURCH ROAD (south side) West Kirby

4/11 Church of 5/6/53 St. Bridget

- II

Church. C14 masonry, heavily restored, remains to chancel, vestry east bay and north aisle. West tower 1492-1530 . Restoration, south aisle and vestry west bay, 1869-70. By Kelly and Edwards. Stone with slate roof. Nave, aisles, west tower, chancel, north chapel and vestry. Tower has 2 diagonal buttresses. West entrance has arch with spandrel quatrefoils and splayed reveals, the jambs panelled, the lintel with armorial bearings and flowers; label mould. 3- light Perpendicular west window paired 2-light bell openings. Cornice and embattled parapet with tracery panels. North aisle has 3:4:3-light square-headed windows with cusped lights between deep weathered buttresses. Gabled timber-framed porch. South aisle has 3-light Decorated windows to west, south and east. Chancel has 5- light east window, the tracery head has superimposed cusped arches, a rare type (renewed). 3-light windows to south between deep, weathered buttresses. Chapel has 4-light window, square-headed with transom, and square-headed north windows, one now obscured by vestry. Vestry east bay under lean-to roof, west bay gabled with stack to west. Interior: 4-bay nave arcades with octagonal piers; arch-braced roof on angel corbels, with wind braces. Flat-topped dormers, not visible on exterior. Chancel arch has low wrought iron screen and rood on overthrow, by C.E. Kempe Above arch are relief figures of angels on stencilled ground also by Kempe. West organ loft (moved from chapel), case by Douglas and Fordham. C19 font, circular, with relief decoration and traceried canopy. Canted pulpit has quatrefoils with relief decoration. Chancel has waggon-boarded roof and 3-bay north trefoil-headed arcade with wrought iron parclose screen. Altar and timber reredos, re-used roof from Chester cathedral. 2 sedilia and piscina with cusped arches. Stalls have traceried bench ends. C17 bench ends in chapel. 2 windows in chancel are c.1860. 19 windows by Kempe illustrating the development of his style from 1870 to 1906-7.

Listing NGR: SJ2182186408

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 21821 86408

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2014 at 04:07:37.