List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CIVIC CENTRE

List entry Number: 1242692

Location

CIVIC CENTRE, GREAT NORTH ROAD
CIVIC CENTRE, ST MARY'S PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Newcastle upon TyneMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 443538

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NZ2465SE GREAT NORTH ROAD . Civic Centre 1833-/14/10055 II* Civic centre: Council Chamber, banqueting hall, associated civic suite and local government offices. Designed 1950, site start 1956, 4-storey blocks 1958, 12 storey block 1960-63, council suite 1965. G W Kenyon, City Architect. Concrete structure, faced generally with Portland stone ashlar, also Cornish granite, Broughton Moor stone, hand made bricks; double glazed windows, bronze frames. Many high quality materials internally, including Norwegian slate, Portuguese marble, English oak, travertine. Courtyard plan:- 12 storey office block to north (with tower and carillon at west end), 4-storey blocks to east and south (rates hall), 2 and 3-storey civic suite to west over vaulted arcade, banqueting hall extending to north and elliptical council chamber on columns extending to west. Civic suite especially designed to very high standard, showing Celtic/Scandinavian influences and executed with a high standard of craftsmanship. Building contains important examples of public art, including:- Geoffrey Clarke: aluminium gates at main entrance and in banqueting hall; David Dewey: carved lettering; John Hutton: engraved glass screen in entrance area; J R Murray:' sea horses on carillon; Victor Pasmore: glazed murals in rates hall; John Piper: Aubusson Tapestry, north wall of banqueting hall; Charles Sansbury: external flambeaux and metal screens: David Wynne: River God Tyne external sculpture and Swans in Flight (courtyard). Also the Wren stone, adjacent to south door of block 3 -understood to be one of the original stones selected by Wren for St Pauls Cathedral 'and bears his signature of approval'. The Civic Centre is an important public building of the period; the quality of materials and craftsmanship is extremely high and the building contains numerous works of art of high quality. .

Listing NGR: NZ2505864947

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 25058 64947

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 01:04:22.